Natl. and Regional Chapters / Special Events Discuss events and rallies here. Also discuss your local and regional chapters.

MN DTR & TDR get together

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by JoshPeters
OK guys....so in other words....Post it in the classifieds...Say you'll bring it to the meet and then post a link to the classified ad so everyone knows what you are bringing. Not exactly simple....but it'll work. No clutter there.

Josh
That is if you don't sell it before the meet
Old 09-19-2005, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't you see the point in what we were/are trying to do? It's a swap meet. Some of these guys don't want to deal with shipping. They are bringing stuff to the Meet to sell or Give to local guys, online friends as they may be. They are not trying to sell something to someone on the east coast. That's why I said....If they do post something in the classifieds, tell who ever reads it, that they will be at the meet.

IE: One gentleman brought a Front Axle with him. Another a Set of 4 35'' Tires with rims. Check out shipping on an Axle sometime.....

Josh
Old 09-19-2005, 12:50 PM
Admin Team Leader

Didn't you see the point in what we were/are trying to do? It's a swap meet. Some of these guys don't want to deal with shipping.

Josh
I am well aware of what you are doing, in your own words "Some of these guys don't want to deal with shipping." That would mean NOT ALL of them by your own admission.

I know how much it costs to ship stuff, I do it everyday. What YOU fail to comprehend is that our forums are NOT a swap meet. (never have been, never will)

This is why you are NOT to post such things in the forums and why we are STILL going over this issue.

Hopefully you will now understand what I have been saying.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I am well aware of what you are doing, in your own words "Some of these guys don't want to deal with shipping." That would mean NOT ALL of them by your own admission.

I know how much it costs to ship stuff, I do it everyday. What YOU fail to comprehend is that our forums are NOT a swap meet. (never have been, never will)

This is why you are NOT to post such things in the forums and why we are STILL going over this issue.

Hopefully you will now understand what I have been saying.
I'm just trying to clarify. The rest of the sites around don't seem to mind. Yes your right, some guys may not mind shipping. I suggest having a box to check or something in your classifieds to take that out as an option.

Josh
Old 09-19-2005, 01:04 PM
Admin Team Leader

I'm just trying to clarify. The rest of the sites around don't seem to mind. Yes your right, some guys may not mind shipping. I suggest having a box to check or something in your classifieds to take that out as an option.

Josh
I know you are and I also know that sometimes this type of communication appears differently than we intend it to, with out facial expressions and tonal inflection of our voices, things can appear harsher than intended.

Also we used to have a link on everybody's post that would allow you to check out their classified ads right from the thread. I am sure that is one of the tweaks Jack is planning on putting back in as he continues to work on the new software.

That will make it MUCH simpler for your needs when it returns
Old 09-19-2005, 02:28 PM

I understand the rules, and have agreed to follow them -- sorry for the previous slip-up. As Josh stated, I was able to sell a set of 315's (wheels and mounted tires). After having back surgery in 2002, I really didn't want to pull the wheels out of my garage and load them up into the truck's box unless I knew I could sell them. With the associated weight involved, I was reluctant in posting them in the classifieds knowing how much hassle I would have to go through if I had to ship them.

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
...one of the tweaks Jack is planning on putting back in as he continues to work on the new software.
What I'm getting from this on-going dialogue is a split between what is best for the site, and what is best for the local chapters. If there is any way we could create a new classifieds "Category" to cover a specific Chapter's swap meet, it would help getting members to use it. Even if the Chapter President would have to PM/ask a Moderator to create the category (with appropriate advance notice), it would be worth it to have a special area of the Classifieds set up for the Chapter's get-together. Yes, I realize we can't have all members being able to create new categories or it would quickly get out of hand. Once the meet is over, the entire thread/category can be removed -- real fast clean-up. This would also encourage members to attend the meet if they are interested in anything listed (buying or selling) -- maybe even get more members involved in local chapters. Just my thoughts...
Old 09-19-2005, 04:43 PM

AMEN TO THAT
Old 09-19-2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by F. Flack
What I'm getting from this on-going dialogue is a split between what is best for the site, and what is best for the local chapters. If there is any way we could create a new classifieds "Category" to cover a specific Chapter's swap meet, it would help getting members to use it......Once the meet is over, the entire thread/category can be removed -- real fast clean-up. Just my thoughts...
i see a problem in the form of: before the meet, parts may be promised to XYZ in a thread(that would eventually disappear), but these parts were purchased by ABC during the meet. then what happens? it was in writing to a certain individual but a different individual walked away with it, but the proof is gone. you would hope ethics would win and i would never want to believe a DTR member would be unethical, but everyone has to look out for themselves. ***dont know if DTR could be used as a legally binding contract in a "thread" setting***

how come MNTDR.org can't put up a swap meet page?

atleast we have potential options...

sorry i couldnt make the get together
Old 09-19-2005, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by pgilles

how come MNTDR.org can't put up a swap meet page?

Great idea! When I get the site up-to-date I will talk to the guy that knows....Our Sitemaster is VERY good and could probably set something up.

Josh