11.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Maryland Chapter #33 Never ending thread V

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crabbelle
theres a picture of a people using them on everything from semis to dragsters
these are vortex generators and used extensively in racing...mostly chassis design on single seaters and prototypes, like LMP1 and LMP2 chassis.

They work, it's been proven in wind tunnel testing from the days of the legendary Porsche 917 testing at leMans in the 60's where these cars would routinely go well over 215 mph...they are not a new concept...BUT the trick is the faster you go the better they work for you...so on a racecar, say an open cockpit prototype, GT, or Touring car they can help significantly especially for high speed stability and increasing aero grip...or dynamic load on the chassis in applicable areas. You got to be going really fast to get your money's worth and the faster you go the further your dollar will go, and the more slippery the chassis to begin with the more positive effect these will have on your handling and aero package. An added benefit would be better fuel economy but I don't know if that would be a significant increase... again, depends on slip stream, chassis design, vortex generator placement, air density...and a host of other factors. One thing these would do is really help in the rain to keep the water moving faster around the vehicle and less water on the vehicle near the boundry layer, where laminar flow would exist in close to the body.

This said it would be interesting to try these (but there are better ways to create efficiencies on a boxy chassis truck), a fun expiriment to see what happens. Our trucks are like a brick passing through air so it would be interesting to see if there were some benefits from aero improvements at nominal speeds like hwy around 60-70 mph...
Old 01-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Banned

they say 3 per foot and there 2.50 ea. i was thinking on the top of my cab and down the side until the bed rails. to try and cut down the wind going in my bed without using a bed cover and turbulence behind the truck. it cant hurt. lol
Old 01-22-2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by crabbelle
they say 3 per foot and there 2.50 ea. i was thinking on the top of my cab and down the side until the bed rails. to try and cut down the wind going in my bed without using a bed cover and turbulence behind the truck. it cant hurt. lol
I might try it also...wouldn't hurt...don't know how much it would help but it wouldn't be worse for sure...

would help more the faster you went and the more your on the hwy over say city or around town driving...

how many would our trucks take? Top of the cab and down the side to the bedrails...like you planned.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

im guessin like maybe 30 at the most which is $75 plus whatever shipping is they come in black and white. i was going to paint my faded grey/brown like my truck. lol

edit- it would take 24 for top of cab and downt he sides so i might just buy 30 and have 6 left for the hood. also im thinking a 2-4 drop. doing the 2 first to see how it is then the 4
Old 01-22-2008, 06:50 PM

yeah I was thinking like 28...6 ft across the cab (right?) at 3 per linear foot...plus 5 on each side going down on the side of the cab to the bedrail...even further down to the molding break may add another 4 -5/side...

in your sig the mods of lowering the truck and shaving weight will help you a bit...but I think the limiting factor will always be the shape of the vehicle, even making it slightly more efficient through the slip steam with small incremental improvements will get harder and harder...you have 2wd, manual trans w/GV overdrive so you're already way ahead on the efficiency curve...
Old 01-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Banned

mine was only 4' across, witha bout 2" on each side. does neone of anybody who sells suspesion stuff? there is a bellt ech dealer in glenburnie but i dont know where it is or the name?
Banned

mine was only 4' across, witha bout 2" on each side. does neone of anybody who sells suspesion stuff? there is a bellt ech dealer in glenburnie but i dont know where it is or the name?
Banned

Old 01-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Banned

theres a nice generator for the cave in the classifieds
Old 01-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Banned

wow...i dont even know what to say

also you dont need a bed cover to prevent drag on the bed...ever seen a wind tunnel test of a pick-up and the positive air pressure bubble in the bed?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Banned

tj you should get some air tabs for pulling might pull further.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:23 PM

eliminate the tail gate and run one of those gator tail gate nets they get better fuel mileage than the tailgate up or down
Old 01-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Banned

i was thinking about that. for when im towing my fifth wheel i dont have to put down my tailgate.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:03 PM

why not buy one of those vented aluminum tail gates instead of the net
Old 01-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by getblown5.9
and as for that caveman/hair covered peanut...ill pass on the shirt if thats what you are putting on them LOL
I don't know if i'm showing my age or you yours. there was a cartoon when i was very young called "Captain Caveman" and it was cool.

Here is a video on Youtube of him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD36ZhpHPpE

Quick Reply: Maryland Chapter #33 Never ending thread V