24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

lift pump hell

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lift pump hell

Ok my VP pump went TU so I ordered a new one and when I did I thought I would get a better lift pump too. So I bought a raptor. well first one was bad. Pureflow was great about sending me another. Put the new one in worked great for a half day went out next morning started then died. tapped key lift pump would'nt run. tried it 12 hours later lift pump ran. Called pureflow they sent me another. well ran great all day parked it then when out a couple hours later and same thing. Thats 3 pumps. After each raptor problem I swapped the stock pump back in and it ran great for a week straight. Can I get 3 bad raptors or is there a problem elswhere????
Old 05-09-2012, 03:24 AM

2000 dodge starting problems

I also have had problems with starting my 2000 diesel. Lift pump and fuel filter were replaced by auto shop. This is the second lift pump. Truck is still hard to start, seems ok after 10-15 seconds of cranking even after turning off and re-starting. I put a pressure gauge on the pump fitting which is just after the filter. When you turn the key to on, you can hear the pump run for several seconds but the pressure only goes to about 2 psi. When the engine starts,, the pressure jumps up to about 15 psi. Is this correct? Should the lift pump push the gauge up to 15psi by itself as soon as it comes on by itself. Don't think there is air in the line but I may try to put a temporary clear tygon tube on the return line to the tank to see if there are air bubbles in the line. What about temporarly putting a clear line (thick wall) on the line out of the lift pump? Do I just replace the lift pump again.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:05 PM

I have had good luck with my Raptor. But after 3 you may want to try a FASS. had that on my last truck with good results.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Call Pureflow again...they had some issues with the pressure regulator I think...Scotty just put one on his Truck and they had to send him a replacement as well....
Old 05-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Chapter President

Call Richard at Glacier Diesel and ask him about the mechanical "Fuel Boss". I don't even look at my fuel pressure and have not in over a year!! My fuel pressure guage ain't even hooked up! Ok, once in every blue moon I'll flip over my Quad and check the fuel pressure and it's always between 17-22 psi, less load more psi, more go pedal and I can drag it down to about 14 with my Quad set on #8.

Actually, you could probably ask Top about it too, I think he sells the Fuel Boss. Put one on and Fa get a bout it.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:34 PM

I agree, FAAS or Air Dog. After many hours of searching this site I chose Air Dog and would do it again. 12-14 pounds not matter what I do. Stop the viscous cycle of lift pump replacement once and for all!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:08 PM

Just installed my Raptor today...BAD PUMP!!!! What is going on with Pureflow???? MY truck being down now for at LEAST another week is a huge deal. YOU had three in a row, holy cow.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by JARHEAD
Just installed my Raptor today...BAD PUMP!!!! What is going on with Pureflow???? MY truck being down now for at LEAST another week is a huge deal. YOU had three in a row, holy cow.
I don't know but I am getting very frustrated with Pureflow over this stuff...I already had to ban one of their Representatives 3 times (probably the guy you talk to when you call for help) because he tried to Blackmail me into lying to his Boss or he would do his best to try and steer sales away from me.....He was surprised to learn I care more about my Integrity than I do a Dollar...

They told me they really don't care that they have a guy like that working for them, so nothing at this point surprises me any more. If I get any more complaints from Customers I will simply stop selling ALL their products.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:54 PM

These guys are selling these pumps for a large amount of guys who uses these trucks to work...to feed families. When they put this crap out there with obviously zero QA being done, is hurting people. Pureflow Airdog, whoever you are, i hope someone with the company sees these posts and decides to give a care. And i am sure they will make me pay for the replacement till the bad one gets back and also i will have to pay for the fedex also. Just frustrated.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:54 AM
Chapter President

Hit them where it hurts, send the pump back, tell them you want a refund for the piece of junk and ask Top or Richard from Glacier to send you a Fuel Boss.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have been very happy with my lift pump setup for 4 years now. I bought this:

http://www.genosgarage.com/VULCAN-PE..._VPPS9802_KIT/

And then just put a Airtex replacement pump I bought from Autozone as a cheap replacement. It is designed for trucks that DO NOT have the in-tank pump conversion:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...2_167745_3171_

This setup has worked great for me for years, I get 17-19 psi at idle, and never below 11 psi at WOT. Usual highway driving I have 14-15 psi constant.

The cost was not bad, great results! Moving the pump off the engine helps it live longer, plus having it down on the frame makes it easier to service whenever it needs it.

I should also note, I put a filter BEFORE the new lift pump. I can't remember what parts number exactly but i got it at NAPA. It's a small in-line metal canister type. Inside it is more of a strainer, metal screening instead of paper.

Different setups work best for different people, of course. But for my truck and what i use it for this has been very good!
Old 05-19-2012, 08:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
4 years and 40,000 + miles on that airtex pump, still working great
Old 05-19-2012, 10:48 AM

I am gonna have to find one that will use the existing draw straw V and 1/2" fuel line already in place. How are the fuel boss fittings? Or is it a kit also?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:04 AM

I hope this isn't considered hijacking your thread!!!! But this thread hit the spot.....how big a deal is installing the fuel boss?
Old 05-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Chapter President

Jarhead,

email sent, pics of bags tomorrow.

Quick Reply: lift pump hell