2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

The last 3 months of owning my truck have me loosing my hair

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The last 3 months of owning my truck have me losing my hair

I have owned my truck 5.5 years and hadn't had one single problem. I don't count 1 set of new batteries, 1 set of new tires, 1 clutch, 1 front brake job, thermostat, and wiper blades as problems since they are wear items. Those are the only things I had ever done other than maintenance like fluid changes etc.

During the last few months I have replaced the fuel sending unit, the lift pump with an airdog 150, the A/C evaporator core - twice, the steering shaft, transfer case output seal, oil pan gasket, and tried unsuccessfully to get rid of uneven tire wear. When re-installing the dash, it cracked in 5 places. I had gone almost 9 years without 1 single crack then the whole thing nearly exploded. About 2 weeks ago I noticed the steering gear leaking at where the shaft goes in and I also suspect the ball joints and steering column bushing are bad or going. The drivers side map light switch also broke. Then, last night the passenger side map light switch broke. 2 minutes later I lowered the passenger window and it would not raise back up.

I swear, I have had to spend so much time fixing it lately just to have transportation that is has worn me out emotionally, physically, and financially. I am seriously going to have to consider now if I want to keep it. I thought since I have done so much to it and taken such good care of it that typically it should remain low cost from now on, but it never fails that it continues to break. I can now see why Chrysler has serious problems - their product sucks without out a doubt worse than any other manufacturer still in business. There I said it, even though I own one and love the Cummins engine, I absolutely hate everything but the drivetrain now.

I swear, this truck which I loved and thought was really great and the best vehicle I ever bought is now becoming the worst nightmare imaginable. Things are starting to just fall apart for no reason. I take such excellent care of this truck that it is almost an unhealthy addiction. I will never buy another Chrysler product.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:27 AM

Ya gotta luv em, But then learn to hate em. That's why so many are looking for Ford's that had 6.0 powerstrokes that are blowed up. To put their Cummins from their Dodges into. So I feel for ya brother. Bill
Old 08-04-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by JasonblkZ06
I have owned my truck 5.5 years and hadn't had one single problem. I don't count 1 set of new batteries, 1 set of new tires, 1 clutch, 1 front brake job, thermostat, and wiper blades as problems since they are wear items. Those are the only things I had ever done other than maintenance like fluid changes etc.

During the last few months I have replaced the fuel sending unit, the lift pump with an airdog 150, the A/C evaporator core - twice, the steering shaft, transfer case output seal, oil pan gasket, and tried unsuccessfully to get rid of uneven tire wear. When re-installing the dash, it cracked in 5 places. I had gone almost 9 years without 1 single crack then the whole thing nearly exploded. About 2 weeks ago I noticed the steering gear leaking at where the shaft goes in and I also suspect the ball joints and steering column bushing are bad or going. The drivers side map light switch also broke. Then, last night the passenger side map light switch broke. 2 minutes later I lowered the passenger window and it would not raise back up.

I swear, I have had to spend so much time fixing it lately just to have transportation that is has worn me out emotionally, physically, and financially. I am seriously going to have to consider now if I want to keep it. I thought since I have done so much to it and taken such good care of it that typically it should remain low cost from now on, but it never fails that it continues to break. I can now see why Chrysler has serious problems - their product sucks without out a doubt worse than any other manufacturer still in business. There I said it, even though I own one and love the Cummins engine, I absolutely hate everything but the drivetrain now.

I swear, this truck which I loved and thought was really great and the best vehicle I ever bought is now becoming the worst nightmare imaginable. Things are starting to just fall apart for no reason. I take such excellent care of this truck that it is almost an unhealthy addiction. I will never buy another Chrysler product.

wow!!!....that's a few problems you've had....I've got an 02' & also had problems with A/C system...mine went out after about 3 1/2 years old....thought that was a little early for it to go out....

Was 01' a year that had more problems?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by mstep3
wow!!!....that's a few problems you've had....I've got an 02' & also had problems with A/C system...mine went out after about 3 1/2 years old....thought that was a little early for it to go out....

Was 01' a year that had more problems?
Not that I know of. I wanted a late 01.5 or an 02 and 5.5 years ago when I was shopping I knew exactly the options I wanted. It took me 4 months of shopping and waiting until I found the truck I wanted. I also only towed a few times (10-15) before I sold my racecar. I wonder if I actually used this truck as a work truck how much other stuff would break? I just use it as a daily driver - never tow or haul anything anymore and just hit 118K miles.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:10 PM

It's an 8 year old truck. Things break, and they have a tendency to break at the most inopportune times. There are problem areas on every vehicle made, it's just a matter of time. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota and Nissan, it doesn't matter. They all have screwed up, underengineered pieces...and others that are well engineered.

I've spent over $1200 in one month, just to keep my 98 on the road. Was it worth it? Probably. Once you get these problems fixed, you'll start appreciating the truck again...

In the end though, it's an eight year old truck. It has eight years of sunshine, driving, towing, bumps, bruises, abuse, neglect and whatever else the truck went through in it's life. It comes down to a personal decision for you, if you would rather have a paid off truck, or another car payment. In the end, everything breaks. It's just a matter of when, and how bad.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's funny, I love my truck and I am still losing my hair...
Old 08-04-2009, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by seahawkdodge
It's an 8 year old truck. Things break, and they have a tendency to break at the most inopportune times. There are problem areas on every vehicle made, it's just a matter of time. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota and Nissan, it doesn't matter. They all have screwed up, underengineered pieces...and others that are well engineered.

I've spent over $1200 in one month, just to keep my 98 on the road. Was it worth it? Probably. Once you get these problems fixed, you'll start appreciating the truck again...

In the end though, it's an eight year old truck. It has eight years of sunshine, driving, towing, bumps, bruises, abuse, neglect and whatever else the truck went through in it's life. It comes down to a personal decision for you, if you would rather have a paid off truck, or another car payment. In the end, everything breaks. It's just a matter of when, and how bad.
I understand things break, but in my case, not from abuse or neglect. Like I said the way I maintain my truck is almost ridiculous. People who don't know how old it is think that it is 3-4 years old - it really looks that good. Even underneath and under the hood. I do preventative maintenance and follow everything to the T. The dash, steering shaft, evap core, light switches, window, ball joints, steering column etc should not be failing this early on a non work truck.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
there all prone to it. My buddies ford 7.3 is always having some kind of issue and the 7.3 super duty is a good truck.the company i USED to work for used only chevys what a pile they are .
I like my dodge .but, there are some real cheese parts that have been use on them. in todays economy EVERYTHING is made to fail so that you replace it with even a lesser quality . Chrysler has always made a junky body and a great drive train.its a shame too, for just a little more effort they could have a great product.
Ford TRUCK DODGE drive train chevy ride, that would make a nice truck my.02
Old 08-04-2009, 06:31 PM

I feel your pain. I bought a 97 with 108k, low mileage and supossed to be in good shape mechanically. I had an 06, ( which I was not completely satisfied with), had it up for sale to buy something with a cheaper payment, post divorce. Found a buyer with a 97 in my price range and he wanted my truck so we traded. First was a complete set of rims and tires, had 16.5 31" mud tires on it, and the body roll was enough to make you seasick on a straight road. Then came a complete new front end. Fuel line replacement, suncoast converter and VB, hoping to not loose my transmission while towing. Interior is ragged out. Found 01 donor parts cheap, ok. lets swap interiors! Seats won't bolt up, floor pan different. Have temp. re-installed crappy vinyl seats till have better plan. spent a weekend doing dowel pin mod. Still need 4 shocks, remove bed to replace rusted, froze in place G/N ball. Not to mention the paint is falling off the beast. Needs gearbox due to excessive wear from stupid tires. ( we think that's why). left front caliper slide bushing won't stay in. Really could use brakes all the way around. have mysterious vibration that we can't find, it's not brakes or a tire. thanks God the A/C still works! Sorry for the rant, now I can look back on the list and think " that's all thats wrong with it?" I was also thinking of finding a 6.0 Ford with a blown engine. Hate to say it, if I ever buy another new truck it may be a toyota.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pick a brand, any brand and you have picked your choice of misery that comes shortly after the warranty has run out. Unfortunately good care and keeping doesn't count anymore because of the built in obsolescence that has been engineered into today's vehicles. I have the same complaint JasonblkZ06 about my Ram and I wish it weren't so because I bend over backward to be kind to and take care of my vehicles too. The only vehicle I have been able to really rely on over the years is my 61 year old 1/2 ton truck which has worked hard for me and asked for little in return for the 42 years that I have been running it. It's the vehicle that still takes me faithfully to the parts store to buy parts for the vehicles under repair and can still pay its keep as a work truck but that truck was made in the days of built in factory quality from a by-gone era. I'm truly sorry for your dis-enchantment with your Ram but fully understand your unhappiness. I feel for you
Old 08-04-2009, 10:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll add a little bit to this.....cup holders that are worthless on 94-98, headlights that suck along with insufficient wiring for the headlights, rust problems with doors, cab corners and rockers, mirrors that suck (94-98), brakes that suck, wiring in the steering column needed to be about an inch longer for headlights.....put tilt wheel down and lights go out, Fuel guage problems, cheap *** grille that breaks if you blow on it,

BUT I still like these trucks
Old 08-04-2009, 11:17 PM

Not that I know of. I wanted a late 01.5 or an 02 and 5.5 years ago when I was shopping I knew exactly the options I wanted. It took me 4 months of shopping and waiting until I found the truck I wanted. I also only towed a few times (10-15) before I sold my racecar. I wonder if I actually used this truck as a work truck how much other stuff would break? I just use it as a daily driver - never tow or haul anything anymore and just hit 118K miles.
I understand things break, but in my case, not from abuse or neglect. Like I said the way I maintain my truck is almost ridiculous. People who don't know how old it is think that it is 3-4 years old - it really looks that good. Even underneath and under the hood. I do preventative maintenance and follow everything to the T. The dash, steering shaft, evap core, light switches, window, ball joints, steering column etc should not be failing this early on a non work truck.
I hate to say it, but the fact that you DONT work the truck probally hurt more than it helped..

I specifically looked for a low milage RANCH truck...I got lucky and found one...1999 with 120K and bought it 2 years ago...NON 53 and the guy used it to TOW..goose neck on a farm. He sold it to get a D-Max...funny after a year and a half I get an email...same guy wishing he had his dodge still. (And wishing me continued luck with it)

Origional lift pump was working fine when I got it, and its still got the origional IP...oil,tires, shocks, diff fluid and tranny fluid is all I have done with regards to maintainance...the only thing I have had to fix is the Driverside seat tear thing....ohhh and I recently did the APPS recal and reset and the hunting transmission is now fixed.

one thing I feel strongly about is a TRUCK is a truck and not a MBZ S500. The more I work this thing the better she is to me...

just my thoughts

NCA
Old 08-05-2009, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Angler
I hate to say it, but the fact that you DONT work the truck probally hurt more than it helped..

I specifically looked for a low milage RANCH truck...I got lucky and found one...1999 with 120K and bought it 2 years ago...NON 53 and the guy used it to TOW..goose neck on a farm. He sold it to get a D-Max...funny after a year and a half I get an email...same guy wishing he had his dodge still. (And wishing me continued luck with it)

Origional lift pump was working fine when I got it, and its still got the origional IP...oil,tires, shocks, diff fluid and tranny fluid is all I have done with regards to maintainance...the only thing I have had to fix is the Driverside seat tear thing....ohhh and I recently did the APPS recal and reset and the hunting transmission is now fixed.

one thing I feel strongly about is a TRUCK is a truck and not a MBZ S500. The more I work this thing the better she is to me...

just my thoughts

NCA
Yeah I guess towing some more stuff and beating the snot of it on a daily basis would have kept the window regulator, map light switches, fuel sending unit, evap core and dash from breaking.

Not only does your post not make any sense, it is hard to read with not one single form of punctuation. I am not talking about the engine and drivetrain here, that has been reliable. Working and towing have nothing to do with the parts that are failing.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup its the nature of owning a Cummins Dodge Ram luv'em hate'em beat'em & fix'em ...
Old 08-05-2009, 10:50 PM

I didn't necessarily mean that you had abused it, but the previous owner may have. In addition, 8 years of any kind of use tends to wear on things, especially on such a heavy truck.

The worst freaking parts on these trucks, are the brakes and steering. Both will kill you, and both are parts the engineers should be ashamed of ever being a part of.

I think you should relax, fix the truck, and enjoy it after the financial pain has faded... Unless you're rich, in which case you can just buy a newer one.

Quick Reply: The last 3 months of owning my truck have me loosing my hair