HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

which wire is the tach wire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which wire is the tach wire?

Installing remote start and cant locate the tach wire. Any leads?
Old 01-28-2006, 06:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Gray w/blk on my '95 picked it up behind the gauge cluster.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:10 AM

Also where is the best place to mount the shock sensor? The directions are pretty vague about how to adjust it and where to put it.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:57 AM

Not sure what you mean by shock sensor.
Are you installing an alarm also?
If so I would think it could be anywhere.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:03 AM

i put a remote starter on my 96 and had to put a cable to set the idle at 1000rpm or it won't start,you need to give it some fuel as you start it.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:35 AM

Yeah it is an alarm/remote start and keyless entry. I also cant figure where to connect the door trigger (+) and the door trigger (-) wires since the Dodge Ram diagram I have only lists one wire for the door trigger and doesnt give a polarity for it. Any suggestions?
Old 01-29-2006, 12:58 PM

It's been a long time since I installed the remote in my '95, hope I'm remembering right.
The door lock trigger wire wasn't in the loom location the FSM showed, I removed the door panel to get at it but later found the wire under the dash. This I well remember.

What I can't remember but think is correct is that I had to cut the wire and connect to each open end. Purple wire you're looking for right?

I have notes about the install out in the shop, will find them later and get back.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:38 PM

I honestly dont know which color wire I am looking for. I just says that there is a wire in the kit that is for the door trigger (+)/(-) and I have no clue because the diagram only lists one wire for the door trigger. Also, which wire in the ignition harness is the starter wire? It says it is supposed to be Yellow or Blue/Yellow. Cant find one that matches. Dont know what else to do.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:47 PM

Access both the Wait To Start light wire and the Tach wire in the loom bundle under the hood, against the firewall (at the top of the firewall). The bundle will be so tight though that I accessed it right before the connector in the middle. I think the Tach wire is black with a gray stripe or the other way around. Remember that you'll need an IN4004 diode on the Wait To Start light wire.

Mount the shock sensor to some wires or tubes in the dash behind your HVAC controls. Just zip tie it to them.

The door triggers are a bit complicated, and you probably need this other DEI module. That's what I had to do. Email Brian Murphy at TheRealMurphys@comcast.net, tell him AggiePhil sent you, and ask him about your door triggers. He can set you up with the part if you need it.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:08 PM

Well Im reading this after I went ahead and tried to get it all installed on my own. What I ended up with is a buch of spliced wires and now the inside of my truck smells like burnt printed circuit board. So, my solution to this problem is to completely un-install this device and try to get my truck as close as I can to the way it was when I started. I will then look into having someone install this or just junk it as the smoke coming from the control module may indicate that it doesnt work anymore. I shouldnt have even touched it.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:26 PM

Yeah, alarms and remote starts (especially units that do both) are actually incredibly complex. I installed my own DEI Python 881XP alarm/remote start on my last truck and I think I counted about 60 wiring connections that had to be made. Luckily, it all worked once I was done. But it's definitely not a job to be attempted by most first timers.

I recommend joining www.sounddomain.com and checking out the Security Sense area of the forums over there. Lots of people who are very knowledgable about alarms. That's the only way I was able to do mine right. But they always suggest that first timers NOT attempt a job like this. I'm sorry you had so much trouble with it.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:18 PM

I wasnt intimidated by the install once I got started. It seemed to get easier as I went until it was all in and didnt work. Then severe panic set in. Couldnt hardly sleep last night thinking about my truck burning to the ground while I slept. A second set of eyes would have probably been nice but Im new here and well thats the breaks. I will have it done right by someone who knows how. Im just thankfull the truck still runs.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:56 PM

Well I went and got the remote start/keyless entry installed by a pro. Well what I thought was a pro, thats what they do for a living. The keyless works great but they cant get the remote start down. It worked when I left the shop. Then the next morning it started the truck but then it shut its self down again. It did this three times and then just quit trying. The whole rest of the day it worked fine, never shut itself down. Now it is doing the start/shutdown thing three times in a row every time I try to remote start it. The tech said he couldnt find the tach wire so he just had it hooked up to voltage. I will have to go back for a third time for them to "try" to get it right. What should I ask for to compensate my time and frustration? Its not my fault they dont have the info needed to do the job. After all, I did call before I took it in to make sure they could do the diesel. Does anyone know what I need to tell them to get it right? Just the Grey/Blk wire behind the gauge cluster? Is there any other place they can tap the tach?
Old 02-06-2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by txwelder
Just the Grey/Blk wire behind the gauge cluster? Is there any other place they can tap the tach?
Yeah, did you read my earlier post? I told you where to get both the Tach wire and the WTS light wire. Where did you take it to get it installed?
Old 02-06-2006, 03:35 PM

Circuit City. He said he got the WTS wire but couldnt find the tach wire. Hope that wasnt a bad choice. The guy working on it seems like a nice guy but I cant just keep going back and forth because they dont have the right info. I figured they knew what they were doing but I will share info with them about which wire will work and which ones wont. Thanks

Quick Reply: which wire is the tach wire?