HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Whining noise when turning wheel either way!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whining noise when turning wheel either way!

I seem to be having a whining noise when I turn the steering wheel either way lately. It isn't loud enough to hear over the radio but when it is relatively quiet inside you can hear it. I was just wondering if i could get some input from u guys on what it could be. Sounds to me like maybe a steering pump going out but hell i'm no mechanic
Old 04-11-2005, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you check the fluid? if it is low check for leaks , if no leak and fliud level is ok , flush with new fluid until clear, to do this undo the return line [ thats the one with a hose clamp on the resivore tank] put a long enough hose on the tank to have some fill from a funnel[try not to let air in] then have anouther hose connected to the return hose to let that go into a waste container,when clear hook back up and run steering wheel back and forth , do all this with eng. running[ except unconnecting and reconnecting] if it still makes noise after maybe a few short trips then you're not going to save pump, at that point you can drive it tell you can'nt stand the noise or it is hard to steer , then get a rebuilt pump from NAPA and put your tank on there pump that will save a lot money.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You have some pretty big tires on your rig, I would imagine that if you were sitting still turning it that it might be quite a workout for the pump at idle.
Might try adding a tube of Lube-Gard transmission additive and see if that quiets it down.