HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

water in oil, this will make all of you feel better about your truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:48 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The coolant level will drop as the engine is running due to air being purged out of the system. Especially after just swapping one out, there is a ton of air on the cooling system. The biggest unanswered question right now is.....was the oil changed? If it was, then there is definately an engine issue. If it was not, then it could be any number of reasons water got into the engine. Still could be a head gasket/block/what have you, but no way to know for sure unless the oil has been changed.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the most likely cause is from ingress of rain or pressure washer. Otherwise, problem just happen since you got the engine. If problem was preexisting, you would have seen a milk shake before starting the engine. I don,t think a mixture of antifreeze and oil would ever settle out. If plain water got in while engine wasn't running during storage or shipping, it would just settle to the bottom of the oil pan without mixing.
Ted
Old 11-19-2007, 07:51 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Water will separate from the oil in a farily short time. It would not be evident without the engine running to mix up the oil and water.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:22 PM

If you're still alive and still trying to fix.
The suggestion on oil cooler is good. There were several upgrades to oil cooler. If you changed out any peices?
Next, See if have pressure leak with rad. pump on rad. cap per normal coolant leak diagnois. If not, try air pressure at oil pressure switch, and check for air into radiator. Remember to take rad. cap off.
Seems I recall some plugs inside engine (like small freeze plugs) that could cause a bad leak if damaged. Don't remember where.
Call CUMMINS, they have a rep. avaliable that would listen and might recall something.

Last edited by dozer12216; 01-04-2008 at 08:36 PM. Reason: errors
Old 01-04-2008, 08:27 PM

Seems to me that the first clue is in the original post, Very clean motor! How did it get so clean? Very likely that the seller put a pressure washer to it to give it that squeaky clean look. Change the oil and filter and give it another run. What have you got ot lose? If it's not milky or only slightly milky, I'd run it till warm and change oil and filter again. Good luck!