HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

waste gate hose found plugged off..Why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
waste gate hose found plugged off..Why?

Just bought 03 1 ton, poking around found code 0234.. and then found waste gate hose capped off. I assume the hose goes into the turbo where there is a plug put in it? Whats the deal, should I be concerned? Should I take it back to the dealer? Need quick answer so I can try and return it... if its an issue. Thanks
Old 10-12-2006, 05:27 PM

Could have a ruptured wg actuator diaphragm - check it wth a hand pump.

Hose limits Boost to 17-18psi if connected to a functional wg, allows 35-40 if plugged.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:28 PM

so does it hurt anything if plugged? or just limits boost?

low boost means more smoke right? or something like that?
Old 10-12-2006, 08:38 PM

You really should get Boost and EGT gages B4 you start playing with it.

Plugging the hose unlimits Boost - the power module may require unplugging and reconnecting the hose.

Follow instructions with the kit.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:32 PM

Code 0234 is for boost limit exceeded. The previous owner must have had a chip installed that was also acting as a boost fooler (telling the stock ECM that boost was within normal limits). They could then block the wastegate tube and run as much boost as they wanted without setting that code. I assume they removed the chip when they sold the truck and probably forgot about the blocked wastegate tube. You should not run the tube blocked unless you have gauges to monitor boost IMO. I would remove the blockage and go back to stock if it was me unless you plan to add some performance stuff in the near future.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:43 AM

I was not sure if it was a big problem that was hiding. I agree with the thought that the previous owner had a chip, or something re programmed, The truck also has aftermarket straight pipe exhaust.

I plan to tow a 3 car trailer in the near future and was wondering if there is certian chips/reprogramming designed for that?

Thanks for the quick response, so what guages might I need? There is already an EGT guage installed, I assume Fuel pressure and Boost? And whats the best place to get em.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:47 AM

One more question.

Where does the tube/hose connect to? I am not a diesel head yet. But was told diesels do not make vacuum, I am guessing it goes on the front side of the Turbo... where I saw a plug screwed in it?
Old 10-13-2006, 07:26 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Deisels make vacum. Tons of it. Don't ever stick your palm on the air intake hole, as you will have the skin sucked off of it. Any engines make vacum as they suck air into the intake. Your lawnmower makes vacum.

If it didn't, why would you be asking about vacum hose?
Old 10-13-2006, 07:49 AM

Because it's not a vacuum hose - it's a pressure hose - spend a little time reading about Diesels B4 you post something like that, eh?

Put a vacuum gage on the intake manifold, post how much vacuum the gage reads........................

Yes - the hose connects the wastegate actuator - it's a ~2" x 3" can with a hose fitting - to the intake system, either at the compressor or the intake manifold.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by gmctd
Because it's not a vacuum hose - it's a pressure hose - spend a little time reading about Diesels B4 you post something like that, eh?

Put a vacuum gage on the intake manifold, post how much vacuum the gage reads........................

Yes - the hose connects the wastegate actuator - it's a ~2" x 3" can with a hose fitting - to the intake system, either at the compressor or the intake manifold.
very good.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:20 AM

Ok, I might sound stupid, but the hose is still attached to the waste gaste and is about 6-8 inches long with a bolt stuffed in it. It should go to the intake manifold...somewhere? I have a vacuum guage and tried to get a reading 10 min ago.. Now the **** thing wont start.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:08 PM

Ask away, dude - purpose of this forum is to help newbies learn the right stuff, as opposed to the misconception and raw conjecture you get off the street.

Opinion doesn't fix your truck - factual experience does - imo, of course.........

So - look for another plugged-off hose barb, possibly right on the turbo compressor housing.

A picture would help, if someone cares to post one

BTW - the vacuum gage bit wasn't pointed at you, jay, but once you get it running again, you may notice an amazing lack of vacuum in the intake system.

Unless, of course, your air filter is severely plugged......................
Old 10-13-2006, 12:18 PM

Cool, thanks for the response. Ok, I did get it started, Finally. Yes, there is a plug screwed into the turbo housing, which I assume was a fitting at one point where the hose went to. Since the hose is about that long and would fit there if I had an elbow to screw into it. Sounds like this is not a real big deal.... I will just baby it until I learn some more but my other problem of not starting....and high idle of 1100....well maybe that should be first.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:28 PM

The starting problem is partially the colder weather, and partially unfamiliarity with a new-to-you truck - hang in there, welcome to the wonderful world of Diesel ownership, and good luck with it.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by charliez
Deisels make vacum. Tons of it. Don't ever stick your palm on the air intake hole, as you will have the skin sucked off of it. Any engines make vacum as they suck air into the intake. Your lawnmower makes vacum.
Unlike a gas engine that makes vacuum from the air entering the carb as the air/fuel charge is sucked into the cylinders a diesel doesn't, it has a postive air charge, that's why we have a boost guage hooked into the intake manifold not a vacuum guage.
The vacuum pump to make vacuum is mounted in front of the power steering pump.
the front of the turbo is pulling the air in (suction side) and the other side of the turbo Discharge pushes boosted air into the engine.

Quick Reply: waste gate hose found plugged off..Why?