HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Very Bizzare problem, broke front drive shaft off!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006 | 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gave the output shaft on the t-case a spin, turns easy, I feel nothing wrong at all.

Stamey, one way I know my front driveshaft doesn't spin in 2wd??? If it did it would be thumping and crashing on my skid plate right now driving around with it hanging from the diff end.
Old 06-20-2006 | 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken front driveshaft

Check your slip joint on your front driveshaft and make sure it will slide on the shaft. The slip yoke has to be able to slide, if seized it will make for a rough ride, thumping sound when hittting bumps. When your truck change ride height by going up or down the driveshaft has to be able to shorten or lenghten it self. I have seen broken yokes, u-joints and expensive repairs needed to the transfer case as the result of seized slip yokes on the front axle.
The same thing can also happen to the rear driveshaft of some similiar configurations.
I drill both of my slip yokes, front & rear driveshafts, tap and install a grease nipple so as to be able to grease them and keep them from seizing up.

cooter
Old 06-20-2006 | 10:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tool
Gave the output shaft on the t-case a spin, turns easy, I feel nothing wrong at all.

Stamey, one way I know my front driveshaft doesn't spin in 2wd??? If it did it would be thumping and crashing on my skid plate right now driving around with it hanging from the diff end.
I am surprised. I guess you learn something new every day. The ones I have looked at when riding beside a Dodge were turning, although I cannot say how fast. Must be freewheeling like Whitebuffalo said.

Chris
Old 06-21-2006 | 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah that is a good point Retooc. I wil check the slip joint. If I remmeber right there is 1 zerk on the slip joint and I grease every zerk at every oil change.

Thinking of what crimedog was saying, there is only 1 bolt broken in the output flange of the t-case, maybe they wiggled loose and then busted the last one off on a big bump?? This happened rolling up a major highway, sure wasn't rough road. Truck does see lots of horrible roads though.

I really gotta get that truck up on ramps and figure this out...... No time right now though!