HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Turbo follow-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo follow-up

Hey I want to thank you guys for replying and helping me out with my turbo problem. So I take my truck to a reputable shop and mention checking the boots, exhaust manifold, etc. and of course he tells me I need a new turbo. Well, I just picked it up, and $900 later I wonder if it was theright thing to do. It still has a high pitched whine, not nearly as bad as it was, but, I swear it did not make that sound before. The mechanic tells me that all turbos do that -- make that whining noise. Is that true? How come I never heard it before? Did I get ripped off again?????? It is so hard being female and not knowing more about how things work. AND it is so hard to find someone honest who knows what they are doing!!!! That's why I really like this site and appreciate all your responses so much. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2003, 07:29 PM

Re:Turbo follow-up

Yes it is true. all turbos do make a wining sound. it is the turbin blades cutting thru the air. if you want you can take the rubber elbow off the air cleaner side of the turbo and take the impeller nut and see if you can move it up and down to where the turbin blades start to hit the inside of the housing.DO NOT DO THIS WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING.you will have a little bit of in and out play, but you shouldnt have that much up and down play. Ghostrider
Old 08-29-2003, 09:47 PM

Not likely a new $900 turbo would be loose and making the same noise the old turbo was.

Are there any other CTDs in your neighborhood you can get with? I've talked to total strangers about their trucks and they've come up to me and asked questions about my Cummins.

NOBODY will turn down a damsel in distress.

What area of the country are you in? With 6500 DTR members throughout the country there is probably one near you and help is often closer than you think.

Just some thoughts.

Stan
Old 08-29-2003, 10:28 PM

When I had my Turbo replaced they put newer version than my old one. The new turbo did make more noise than my old one. All turbo's do make a noise. I hope the shop you went to did you right but, you might want to get a second opinion on it.
The noise you are hearing do you notice it more on the highway or in town. Mine makes a whistle while I'm going down the highway.