HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

turbo boost limit exceeded code

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turbo boost limit exceeded code

My stock truck loses power at 3/4 to WOT. and then scores a trouble code of turbo boost limit exceeded. There was a TSB from dodge last year to replace the map sensor. In Sept. of "03 i replaced the map sensor,which did not fix the problem. The turbo and wastegate assm. was replaced and did cure the problem for a few month's but now it is doing it again. Map sensor values are normal and operational. I have a hard time believing the turbo is at fault again. Anyone with similar problem? Any ideas would be appreciated. Tony
Old 05-09-2004, 08:58 PM
RCW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check you IAT, it can create a situation that mimics a bad MAP. It is also a good idea to check your MAP again, especially if someone has washed a warm or hot engine with cold water. That causes the sensors to rapidly contract and pull water inside and destroy them. The crankshaft sensor can also give similar symptoms and result in the same error code.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:24 AM

i just had the same problem with my 02. i installed a boost gauge to see what it was actually reading. i had 27 to 29 pounds of boost. what happens with overboost the map sensor reads it and then tells the computer what it sees. the computer will then start to defuel the motor. what i found was a stuck waste gate. dont ask me how i drive it hard enough that it should of been free. i sprayed some heat control solvent on it and worked the lever with a small cresent wrench. it freen up easy and right away ran great. then my boost was in the norm about 20 psi.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:11 PM

You are right nitrousn. After talking to Chrysler,they wanted me to put a transfer pump on her. So i did. No cost to me. I check the waste gate and found it completely seized. Had to use penetrant & heat to get it to move. A new one is on order and should be here this week. And i don't mean a waste gate,i mean a complete turbo assm. This is the second time i have had to replace the turbo,due to a seized waste gate. the first was in sept. of "03. I have some engineers looking into a solution. I don't think that it should need constant lubing,and according to Chrysler it lives normally shut anyway
Old 05-18-2004, 08:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The best solution would have been to put on an EZ edge and take advantage of your 29psi of boost .
Old 05-18-2004, 08:46 AM

TGCTD i thought i would be the only one with that problem. dc tech department was aware of wastegate sticking. we were going to replace a map sensor needlessly i guess thats why they are on restriction. i know my waste gate works or at least did work. i drive it hard enough so it gets to open a fair amount. mine freeded up real easy. i still am baffled as to why it would stick. get some gauges in your truck so you can monitor the system. then when things change you will have some input into what is going on. dc should of had a 4 gauge option that would be very helpful with the ctd trucks.-----------pete
Old 05-20-2004, 11:07 PM

Funny you should mention the EZ,Jbody. I am a DC tech and was talking to the Star center. They must have asked me a dozen times if i had tampered with the turbo. After telling them no 5 times,i finally told them that tampering would cure the problem. I may be exploring this soon. Within the next month i will be putting in the ATS converter,controller and V/B kit for starters. Pete, DC made me believe i was the only one with the issue,and i am now looking into other drivers with the problem. Only thing i can come up with is the short trips i take in the winter time in salty conditions. Possible not getting the turbo warm enough, to burn off the salt water? I was going to try another MAP until i also found it to be on restriction. I am tring to find a grease or other type of lubriant that can withstand the temps of the turbo,or fabricating some type of cover to keep the elements out of the area. Any input is appreiciated. Tony
Old 05-21-2004, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm also a tech for DC. I haven't run into a rusted wastegate as that stuff is non existant out here in AZ, but I did replace one under warranty a short while back that the actuator arm was hitting on the actuator mount causing the wastegate not to open at times. The customer has had the problem since the truck was new, but it would only happen intermittantly. I was finally able to duplicate it using the new Miller tool for charging the air inlet system. That thing is really handy. Mopar rust penetrant spray may be what you need to keep the linkage free. Just give it a shot once in awile. It used to work keeping the heat valves on the gas engines from seizing (I lived in South Dakota so I do know what rust is all about).
Old 05-21-2004, 10:34 PM

Well i put the new turbo assm on today and it is all better. Jbody, Mopar rust penetrant is what i used at first to try to free it up.I had to use the oxy-acetelene on the outer bushing to get it to move though. DC says the actuator has to be checked with a dial indicator and tool 6022,which i did and i couldn't get the wastgate to move more than .004 with 30 psi on the tool. specs are .011 to .050 movement.That is why DC authorized the new turbo. I like the cresent wrench idea better as it will be alot faster to check the movement,now that i have a "feel for it's travel with the wrench. With the wastegate stuck i was getting 39-40 psi of boost as read on the DRB. MAP sensor takes in account of atmospheric pressure of about 14.2(here) to get that reading. After i freed it up i was getting at times 36 Psi. I didn't get the defueling at that point but still the PO234 code. I haven't checked my boost since installing the new turbo. I am sure i am getting around 34 psi,but i like the pull from the 36 psi better.I can definitely see a Edge or banks package soon. I really need to get a set of guages also. Well for now on i know to check and lube this thing until i get a box. Does anyone know what max boost is from the stock turbo? Is about 40 psi about all it is capable or will this run up till grenading if you lock the wastegate shut?
Old 05-22-2004, 08:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I knew how a bone stock truck could turn up that much boost. I thought at 21 to 22 lbs., a stock truck would defuel to stop the boosting. Now, whether your waste gate is locked up or not, it should have defueled, or is that different on the 02's? my waste gate is welded shut. I have seen as much as 52 lbs. of boost a few years ago, due to a major meltdown of my third bluechips box. I now achieve 46 lbs. on a REGULAR basis with the COMP on 5x5. It looks real cool to see 2 black tornadoes coming out of my duals. I guess I will find out how long one lasts locked up.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:14 PM

Captcool, At 39-40 psi ,the truck did start to defuel. That is why i felt the truck lose power at 3/4 to WOT. It would not accelerate much past 70,and not upshift into O/D until i let off the go pedal. If you have a box on it,telling the controller to ignore the overboost,you could use the increase boost for more power.The overboost trouble code was not my concern,the significant loss of power is what made me look at the DTC's. The check engine lite has never come on during either case. Until i buy an edge EZ or similar boz,the motor actually is more responsive with the wastegate working. If i do buy a box,i just might lock the waste gate shut or let it seize again and buy a box at that point.