HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Truck won't start after several hours or over night.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck won't start after several hours or over night.

Hi all!
New here,and glad to find forum and you experts. I hate to say that I should of taken care of this leak sooner.61 years old should of known better,me that is LOL. It's been about a year that I noticed a leak coming from above my tank,but the truck started fine in all that time. A few days ago, If the truck would set for several hours mostly over night It would not start. I would run the battery down trying to start it. Would hook the battery charger to it on engine start and in a few seconds it would start. I would be at work for 8 hours and the truck would still start, but not left over night.
So a dealer on the phone, said if there is a leak some where that may cause the problem from not starting. My buddies at work (not a dealer garage) but my street department work, helped me put in a tank module, because the old one had a leak on one of the metal elbows. But I'm still having trouble starting the truck if left setting for several hours or over night. We installed the module on Nov.28th, truck has only one quarter tank of fuel init could that be a problem. I may have a wet fuel line that is below the floor board,that looks like a cone shape nut. Please any help, I would be glad to get. If only to narrow it down. I'm the guy that cleans the roads up, small borough, so I need my four x four to get to work. One more thing. The fuel filter, could that be it. I just drained about a couple of cups of fuel from it and water still show in the dash. Thankyou, jim
Old 12-02-2007, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your gonna need a new set of fuel lines, either the rubber ones at the motor or the steel ones along the frame rail are rotten, replace both lines with rubber ones wright from the tank to motor, have fun, good luck........
Old 12-02-2007, 10:53 AM

The wettness of fuel I saw was not all along the fuel line. It seemed to be coming from the nut or connection that was shaped like a cone. Reminded you of a flaire fitting but was not that. As you know I'm in no way a expert. but when the bed was off the two elbows on the module were rusted but the rest of the lines looked very good. I felt them and pulled on them and the did not crack or break apart as if the would be rotten. Just thinking here, any thing else?? thanks, Jim
Old 12-02-2007, 11:00 AM

I had the same problem and had the fuel lines replaced. They weren't rotten but had a crack in the rubber enough to loose prime while sitting.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:08 PM

you're probably getting air in the lines or not enough fuel.

replace the lines
Old 12-02-2007, 02:25 PM

O.K., Thanks for the quick answers. What was the cost replacing those lines for some of you? What I mean is, a pro would be better then me doing it because I can't have this truck down to long. Thanks again you all, Jim
Old 12-02-2007, 07:04 PM

cost im not too sure just make sure if you do it yourself you use diesel rated fuel line not any cheap gasoline line.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:12 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Not sure of current prices but about five years ago the dealer charged $115 each to replace $8 worth of hose.

Replacing the entire stock return and delivery lines from tank to engine is actually a lot easier though it will cost more for the hose. It will also eliminate future problems.
Problem is I doubt if you'll be able to find many mechanics who will do it, for sure the dealer won't.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by dj_souvlaki
cost im not too sure just make sure if you do it yourself you use diesel rated fuel line not any cheap gasoline line.
It is very important to use good line, I just replaced some of the lines on my truck, and the cheap gas line will only last about 1 minute, I used 5/16 fuel injection hose on mine, I guess its the right stuff, my buddy at napa said it worked fine for diesel fuel and he has never steered me wrong. He drives a duramax so I guess he cant be all that smart, it hasnt caused me any problems yet, I think it costs like $5 a foot. Hope this helps ya