HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Truck Started, stalled and won't restart???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Started, stalled and won't restart???

My truck is plugged in every night. I started my truck yesterday morning. I came inside while it warmed up. I went back outside and it had stalled and wouldn't restart. I have a full tank. I replaced my fuel filter and added Diesel 911 to the filter and tank. Still no luck. Any other ideas? We have had an extended stretch of COLD weather. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:10 PM
DTR question asker

Air in fuel lines maybe?

Fill out you're signature so we can see what kind of truck you have. Click on User CP and edit signature.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:11 PM
JKM

bhallo0217:

We are going to need to know some specific information about your truck before we can help you. If you can post that information , or even better , fill in your signature by clicking on user CP near the top of the page, I am sure we will have your truck up and running in no time.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:20 PM

Truck Info...

Sorry Guys!!! Rookie!!! 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, Long Bed. No modifications. I just tried cycling the fuel system a couple times too. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:27 PM

Can you find a warm garage to push the truck into? Plugging it in keeps the engine block warm, but doesn't do anything for the fuel system.

If no garage, I read here the other day where someone used a kerosene torpedo heater to blow warm air at the truck to thaw it out.

Its probably iced up somewhere else.

Go back to the CP page and fill in your location as well - unless you don't want to be found.

Once its running, go buy some Power Service Diesel Fuel Additive (in the WHITE bottle) and use it with every tank.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:41 PM

The truck is TOO BIG for my garage. And I'm by myself, don't think I can push it on my own. I figured the Diesel 911 would de-ice it all. May be time for a tow to the dealership. UGH!!!! I'm losing my humor about diesels.....
Old 02-10-2007, 03:47 PM

Since diesels aren't mainstream yet, diesel gelling isn't well known for gasser kinds of folks.

You've probably got some water in it somewhere, I am pretty sure diesel fuel up in NH is treated properly to keep it from gelling.

Not that it will help now, there is a water drain on the bottom of the fuel filter cannister.

If the tow truck won't show up to take it to the dealer this weekend, and you've got some time to mess around - try a lightbulb under the hood, a hair dryer blowing in there too - adding heat. Make sure you do it all safely though.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:50 PM

Bulabula thanks for the info. I do have a torpedo heater (60,000 btu), it just isn't handy. It's on the job site. I may have to go get it and give it a try. I don't know if it will raise the temperature enough sitting outside. Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:27 PM

Did you plug the truck back in? Did you put 911 in fuel tank and filter? Are you getting fuel back into fuel filter. Lift Pump? I am having problems with my truck also same truck as yours. If you have fuel in fuel filter now after changing it its not gelled at the rear.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:22 AM

Longbed,

The truck has been plugged in continuously. I did put the 911 in both the tank and fuel filter. The diesel in the fuel filter didn't even look gelled. I hope it isn't anything big. We have a snow storm approaching this week and I have plow contracts. I'll let you guys know. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:24 AM
TSB

Have you been getting your fuel from the same place all winter? My '96 has been sitting out all winter, not plugged in and I haven't had a problem. I am about 20 miles south of you. From what I have been told the 3rd gen's start much better then the 2nd in cold weather. By cold I mean 0*F and below. I have only had trouble with one fuel station in NH with diesel fuel gelling, and that was right after they opened, it was about -20*F and the torpedo heater did the trick but it was a 155K btu. Since then they have been fine. Unless you are running some fuel you bought prior to the end of September or the fuel station doesn't sell much diesel you may have other problems. Maybe a lift pump or the fuel heater? You say you checked the fuel filter. Did you replace it? If not when was the last time it was replaced, and how did it look?
I have a scan / diagnostic tool that will look at the data stream but I have never tried it an a vehicle that is not able to start. I can look at rail pressure etc. not sure about low pressure side. If I can be of assistance PM me with a way to contact you or respond to this post and I will PM you.
Don't give up on the diesel they are GREAT!!!
Old 02-11-2007, 09:36 AM

TSB,

I just bought this truck a few months ago. When I got it home I had all the fluids changed. They all looked horrible. (Texas Truck) I have had a few other problems: Fuel leak at the engine (fixed at dealership), wiring issue (blower would stay on without the key in the truck) had the re-wiring done last week by dealership. I filled the truck up Thursday afternoon, drove about 1hr after fill-up, I parked it, plugged it in and started it the next morning. Once it stalled it hasn't started back up. I think I am at my time limit for trying to figure it out. I am going to have it towed to the dealership in town. I have to admit, it takes a while for heat to work in the truck, even if it is plugged in all night, could this be related to my problem? Also yesterday when I replaced my fuel filter I noticed a small vacuum hose broken, could this affect my start up too? Thanks.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:59 AM
TSB

Diesels don't warm up like gas engines at idle so you won't get good heat until you put a load on the engine.
With the temps we have had recently you should not have to plug it in IMO, just going on my experience with all my current and previuos diesels.
I'm not sure about the broken vacuum line. I don't believe it would cause the symptom you are describing but it should be an easy fix so its worth try.
How many miles on the truck? I don't remember when the lift pump was moved into the tank (I think it was '05) but there were problems with external lift pumps on some models.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:08 AM

TSB,

125k miles. The truck has been running fine. I plug it in to help with the warm up in the morning. It seemed like an easy way to ease the starting of the truck. I'm still waiting for the tow truck. I'll let you guys know when I get it fixed. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:27 PM

No good news so far. Dealership has been unable to locate the problem. They are getting multiple error codes from the computer ("checked the ECM") so they are doing a point by point test. The last test done today cleared the lift pump. Tomorrow they are going to test the injection pump. The were doing a fuel pressure test too. With a blizzard on the horizon this is not the time for my truck to be down. I would assume the truck has been indoors all day for testing, this has to eliminate ice in the gas, any ideas for me to give to the dealership? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Truck Started, stalled and won't restart???