HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Truck Died Today, Out Of Town. Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Died Today, Out Of Town. Need Help!

Hows it going everyone.

Let me give you a little history on the truck. It's an 03 4x4 long bed. Exaust, intake, & a Dr.Performance chip. Anyways here the low down.

I'm out of town at the moment in Southern California at a paintball tournament. My dad and I(Were in his truck btw) are heading back to the hotel. On the way there the truck decided to shut off on it's one when we were at a stop light. We waited a minute and it started back up fine. We got back to the hotel & we unplugged the chip. Anyways, today were leaving going through LA traffic & it decided to shut down again. This time were getting a little aggrivated so we pull over let it rest for a while and try it again, it's all kosher for about 20 or some miles then it quite again. Now it starts for 30 seconds then shuts off. We checked for fuel leaks, ect and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. We called a buddy of ours who is a service tech in Sacramento(our destination were trying to reach) and he said it sounds like a lift pump issue, or something of the sort.

We had to get a hotel cause no car rental angenices seem to have a van or truck that can go to Sac and haul 5 people and all of our equipment. Tommorow moarning were dropping it off tommorow at a dealer nearby & rent a car to get home. Hopefully the fix won't take them 4 **** days.

So to ask my question after boaring you all w/ my long post. Has anyone experienced something like this?

P.S im going to get razzed so bad at work on Tuesday about my "Great Cummins" going down by all the Ford owners.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:09 PM

It sounds like a lift pump problem. Were exactly are stuck at? Not exactly how much help I can be, but there DTR members down south that may be able to help.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:34 PM

What part of So Cal are you in... Might be able to help if you are close..
Old 12-11-2005, 11:35 PM

did you say chip? i red someone had a chip and removed it to get it back to stock it ran fine after wards.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Buckshotmckee
It sounds like a lift pump problem. Were exactly are stuck at? Not exactly how much help I can be, but there DTR members down south that may be able to help.

Were in Santa Carrita(sp) and the Valencia area. We just had the truck towed to the nearest Dodge dealership and were in the process of trying to rent a car to get back to Sacramento. In my opinion I think it'll take them at least 3-4 days to get it fixed. I can see them saying that the part isnt in and then they will have the figure in the actual labor time. Thank god this is still under warranty. But then again i'v heard of some dealers not taking to keen to mods, but the 5 star dealer in Sacramento has done work to our truck numerous times w/ the mods we have had on it.

neal dehmler- Yes it's the Dr.Performace chip that we bought from our dealer. We got to the hotel and unplugged the chip and thought it would be fine but it totaly died on us last nite.

Thanks for all the help guys, I realy appreciate it.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:03 AM

So was it the lift pump? If so, you should/will get the intank update. Glad to hear you got everthing handled. There are a couple members in the ventura area if you need anything.

Tye
Old 12-12-2005, 11:15 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by neal dehmler
did you say chip? i red someone had a chip and removed it to get it back to stock it ran fine after wards.
I think that last episode of a Superchips tuner being blamed will be disproved here in the next few weeks.
$100 says his Dr. is not to blame for this either.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:21 PM

Sounds like what my fathers 03 did. It turned out it was the electronic fuel actuator. I'm betting thats what yours is.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:39 PM

So was it the lift pump? If so, you should/will get the intank update. Glad to hear you got everthing handled. There are a couple members in the ventura area if you need anything.

Tye

Awesome, thanks for the hospitality bro. We just arrived back in Sac a little while ago. We took the truck to a Dodge dealer that in my opinion isn't the best in the world. They are going to have a Diesel tech look at it tommorow and were going to go from there(they don't even have a tech on service full time ) . What do you mean get the Lift Pump updated, a new aftermarket system? We were contemplating that but we just want the truck back in our hands first.

P.J- Yea I can pretty much rest assured that the Dr.Performance is not the culprit of this incident.

RedRocket- I don't beleive the Fuel Actuator Valve is the issue either. My 03 had to go in the shop about 3 months ago for that, it was surging realy ruff and idled like ****. They changed out the part and it's fine. My fathers truck didn't surge or idel ruff it just flat out quite.

But i'll let you all know what the deal is when we call them tommorow to see what's going on.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nate-03 D
What do you mean get the Lift Pump updated, a new aftermarket system? We were contemplating that but we just want the truck back in our hands first.

There's an in-tank update, from DC, that pushes the fuel instead of sucking it from the tank.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:09 PM

There's an in-tank update, from DC, that pushes the fuel instead of sucking it from the tank.

So we'd need to call in before hand to see if they have this avaliable or will they do it on their own?
Old 12-12-2005, 07:15 PM

If it is the lift pump, then they will/should just do it.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:35 PM

If it is the lift pump, then they will/should just do it.

Thanks for all the help Buck, I realy do appreciate it.

The dealer rented us a vehicle to get back home. They gave us some Ford Freestar van or something. It drove like junk but it got us home. They initially wanted to give us a Toyota Camry but we had 5 people w/ us and over $4000 worth of paintball equipment we had to store some where and that little Camry wasen't going to cut it. You should of seen my pops raising hell, funniest part of the trip right there.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:44 PM

Well If you fly back down to get the truck let me know.. I am Near LAX and can get you out to Valencia/Santa Clarita to pick up your truck...
Old 12-12-2005, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by gerry
Well If you fly back down to get the truck let me know.. I am Near LAX and can get you out to Valencia/Santa Clarita to pick up your truck...
Cool Gerry.

Quick Reply: Truck Died Today, Out Of Town. Need Help!