HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Truck becoming a <edit>!!!!!! literally!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck becoming a <edit>!!!!!! literally!!!

I've got a 2004.5 2500 quad cab 4x4 approx 33000miles w/ a diablo power puck
This this thing has been in the shop atleast 8 times since Jan. of this year.
3 power steering pumps, 3 fuel limiting valves, new connectors on the map & fuel rail, reflashed computer, you name it, it's been done.
Last night I was driving home w/ the cruise set at 75, about a half hour into the drive, the truck fell flat on it's <edit> then picked back up. When that happened, the M.I.L. light came on. I drove for another couple of hours before I stopped to get fuel. These codes came up
P0148
P0630
P0483
P0251
The computer was reflashed 2 days before thankgiving and everything was fine until last night. The fuel mileage went down considerably when the light came on. The last time it was in the shop it was supposed to have an injector test performed cuz #6 had some possible ?'s, but then the dealership said the reflash was all it took to fix the problems.
Anyone have any info on this.
thanks
Old 12-04-2005, 02:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My only thought is that it's time to find another mechanic, preferably not at a dealership.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:23 PM

it has been to 3 diff shops.
the shop where I bought it just replaced limiting valves to get it out.
the one I'm dealing with now did the conn. and reflash
Old 12-04-2005, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sounds like a lemon.......I would demand another truck from the dealer.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:08 PM

I have @ the dealership where I bought the truck. Now Ijust get blown off when I go in there. <edit to remove the dealer name>.
Dick Edwards in Junction City, KS (where I happen to be working for a little while) has been alot better to work with, the service manager has been pushing for a replacement. He is quitting this month and said he has some things to tell me about my truck and the dealership after he quits. I think his boss is tired of the truck and just quick fixing it to get it out.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There is a 1-800 number that DC has...I am not sure what it is...but the dealer should give it to you. You can talk to DC directly and see what they will do. I tried that before and it seemed to get the ball rolling.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:16 PM

DC customer assist is a joke. I get nothing from them but to just let the dealership check it out.
Does anyone know where I can find out what these codes mean?
Old 12-04-2005, 03:17 PM

Burn It!!!!!
Old 12-04-2005, 03:30 PM

If I didn't need it to get home, I think I would!!
Old 12-04-2005, 04:27 PM

P0148 Fuel Delivery Error
P0251 Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control "A" Malfunction
P0483 Cooling Fan Speed
P0630 VIN Not Programmed in PCM

Sounds like you have major problems.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:38 PM

thanks for the info
should I get auto zone to try and clear, or just wait & take it to the dealer
Old 12-04-2005, 04:48 PM

I would want the dealer to be able to see the codes you have. I would leave them.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:37 PM
RCW

You need the proper OEM dealer reflash. The VIN is a must, and for it to be missing it would tell me that either the ECM was replaced or it was reflashed with an incorrect version when last done.

Get the rig on the reader and go through the memory and look at the updates and versions installed since new. I bet you have an incorrect flash.

I would lose that power puck before I visited the dealer. That is a kiss of death to your warranty.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:52 PM
RCW

0148 is a fuel delivery error. What that really says is that the timing read by the ECM was outside the map parameters. Generally when this happens it is because of a faulty add on fueling box, or a blown ECM. The ECM is generally blown from someone connecting or disconnecting terminals to install a fueling box and not letting the system discharge first.

0630 tells us that your VIN is not programmed into the ECM. That would only happen if a moron got ahold of your truck. All the OEM maps include check digits that reference valid codes from the VIN, no VIN and you get an automatic mismatch. Check into who has been dinking with the programming and fire them. This could also happen if a generic Cummins ECM was installed in place of the OEM unit, but then half your instruments and cruise control would no longer function, either.

0483 is cooling fan speed. That is a derived value based on what I called "weighted Crow," or a crow with a ten pound weight on one wing. It will set if the cooling fan does not engage or disengage, and your coolant temperature and air temperature sensors believe that the engine is either hot or cold and the fan is not responding properly. Pretty useless information on a good day!

0251 is the injection pump fuel valve feedback code. That tells you that there has been a signal interrupt when the fueling system was expecting an incidence of injection activity that corresponds to the high rail pressure event. Most often this is a sign the CP is failing, and that is most often related to excessive fueling rates at high combustion temperatures, and the system trying to cut back and not able to because of interferrence from an external input.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:21 PM

Thanks.
the puck is already removed, I did that earlier and checked the codes again.
Still no change, the same codes are still present.
When the truck was in about a month ago, a tech from chrysler came in and got w/ the tech @ the dealership. They felt like an injector was acting up, but did not fix it. That is when the conn. were changed. I was told after I took it back in the next week, that I had to complain about the running condition before they could do an injector test. I did, they kept the truck for a week and a half & all I got was a reflashed comp. & no injector test.
Ran great until last night when it fell on it's bum.

Quick Reply: Truck becoming a <edit>!!!!!! literally!!!