HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

TRransmission won't engage!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 07:18 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRransmission won't engage!

Hi again -

-well, I got the 3-pc manifold in, thanks for all the replies / suggestions on that -

NOW...my transmission seems to have a real problem; I replaced the tranny last summer, and have had no problems up until about a month ago. When I start it up and put it into gear - nothing. No fwd or reverse engagement at ALL - yesterday, when going back into Park, I got a grinding sound....after a couple of minutes of going through the gears, and in and out of 4WD, I finally got it to move. The linkage seems to be tight, and the issue appears to disappear when the transmission is warm. Fluid level is good.....

????

'99 Cummins Quad Cab Long Bed, auto-trans...
Old 01-04-2004, 07:38 AM

Almost sounds like your transfer case. That grinding you heard was probably your park pin trying to engage while the tranny was spinning. I wish I could help more.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:30 PM

Classic symtom of a clogged transmission filter. How many mile ago was the filter replaced.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:16 PM
Chapter President

The new transmission was put in about 6K miles ago.....I would HOPE that the filter was replaced! (I didn't even think of checking!)
Old 01-05-2004, 11:36 AM

Was a new TC also installed with the new/rebuilt transmission?

If not, could an old worn TC be the problem because it cannot pump cold fluids at the correct pressure?
Old 01-05-2004, 01:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Bet it's the filter

Diesel shop owner friend has told me that many of the rebuilt TCs on the market are full of manufacturing trash and the filter should be changed after around 1000 miles. Without naming names the trash statement includes the most popular aftermarket auto trans sources out there. He has received some that were so dirty that he's sent them back.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:15 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I second the filter statement-
because on all new frictions you do install in an AT there is a kind of peach fuzz that will wear off very soon (like 200-700miles) and will clog your filter. And a clogged filter will be very noticeable in the cold when the fluid is still viscuous and won't want to go through the filter media. There is only suction on this side- but a clogged filter will also increase the likelyhood of slippage since it won't let enough fluid through to build decent pressure. Slippage makes for more dirt entering the fluid.
Maybe you should also try to let the truck high idle in neutral for about 50-75 seconds when cold. The TC will not fill in P on a stock tranny. (No circulation through the cooler circuit with the stock VB). Shifting around with a weird acting tranny is not to be recommended.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
Old 01-06-2004, 12:40 AM

Alpineram is right about letting it idle in neutral for a minute to let the TC fill and lube the inards. However, the "grinding" sound you hear makes me wonder about the transfercase. In order to get that grinding to take place while sitting still, the transfercase must be out of gear in order to let the output shaft in the trans to spin. I would check the adjustment on the T'case to make sure it is in gear all the way.

Dave