HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Trouble adjusting kickdown/pressure cable

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Trouble adjusting kickdown/pressure cable

My trani guy can't get the cable adjusted right. If I go up a hill and the trani kicks down, it red lines. That's while towing. Also, it won't shift from 1-2 under wot unless you let off. And sometime's if I kick it down doing between 32-37 it over rev's and won't shift.

He keep's changing the cable and get's differant effect's. It either shift's too soon, or too late. He can't get it just right. He say's he's only moving it a fraction at a time. Could there be something else wrong. Is there a proper adjustment procedure. Thank's.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
maby a vb kit like transgo tfod-2 diesel would fix it as i did not see any upgrade in your sig ?
also a proper band adj and atf+4 < i use walmart brand >

i like mine !

also over reving going into 2nd is prob a band too loose or woren out .

tighten it with locknut backed off plenty and back it out 2 turns , hold adj screw and tighten locknut .

maby you need a new traney guy !
Old 12-04-2007, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Start with the correct adjustment and work from there. The cable, on the Throttle body side, should be lined up perfectly with the lug it goes on. Make sure you are not pulling on the cable or you will get a false indication of where it is. It has to be lined up with in a 32nd of an inch.. This is the baseline of where it would be in stock form. If you have it set like this and it wont shift at WOT until you let of it a little bit, then you need to loosen the cable a little bit. If you loosen it too much, you will have other problems..such as shifting too soon/late. It takes a while to get it how you want it. Start with making bold adjustments, you wont hurt anything, and see what it does. After you have a grasp as to what it doesn when you move the cable in either direction, make smaller adjustments..

You dont need a "tranny guy" to do this for you. I really hope you arent being charged for it either. If you dont know how to even adjust the cable let me know and I will, or someone on here will let you know how to do it, its dead easy.

ADJUSTMENT VERIFICATION

Verify that lever on throttle body is at curb idle position. Then verify that the transmission throttle lever is also at idle (fully forward) position.
Slide cable off attachment stud on throttle body lever.

Compare position of cable end to attachment stud on throttle body lever:
Cable end and attachment stud should be aligned (or centered on one another) to within 1 mm (0.039 inch) in either direction.
If cable end and attachment stud are misaligned (off center), cable will have to be adjusted as described in Throttle Valve Cable Adjustment procedure.
Reconnect cable end to attachment stud.

If transmission throttle lever moves ahead of, or lags behind throttle body lever, cable adjustment will be necessary. Or, if throttle body lever prevents transmission lever from returning to closed position, cable adjustment will be necessary.

ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE

Disconnect cable end from attachment stud. Carefully slide cable off stud. Do not pry or pull cable off.
Verify that transmission throttle lever is in fully closed position. Then be sure lever on throttle body is at curb idle position.
Pry the T.V. cable lock into the UP position. This will unlock the cable and allow for readjustment.
Apply just enough tension on the T.V. cable to remove any slack in the cable. Pulling too tight will cause the T.V. lever on the transmission to move out of its idle position, which will result in an incorrect T.V. cable adjustment. Slide the sheath of the TV cable back and forth until the centerlines of the TV cable end and the throttle bell crank lever are aligned within one millimeter.
While holding the TV cable in the set position push the TV cable lock into the down position. This will lock the present TV cable adjustment.
Reconnect the TV cable to the throttle lever.
Check cable adjustment. Verify transmission throttle lever and lever on throttle body move simultaneously.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank's for the replies.

Trust me. I could do it myself, and I'm not paying for anything. The deal is I just had the trani rebuilt recently, and now discovered the 1-2 shift problem. I had 200 mile's left on my warranty. He adjusted it a little bit, but wasn't satisfied. He was closing and I was going out of town. I had to go on a run that now has put me way out of warranty. He's willing to make thing's right, even if there's something else wrong, as long as I don't go messing with it.

So I'll just let him do his thing.

I finally found that adjustment procedure too. It was under 48re. It keep's saying throttle body. I'm assuming this would still be correct for a diesel since it didn't say anything differant like "for diesel" like it normally does. What do you guy's think??
Old 12-05-2007, 03:34 AM

Sounds to me like you have more than a throttle cable adjustment issue. Try contacting Tim at TRE Diesel Performance. He has built countless transmissions for these trucks and really knows his stuff. Just because your guy does transmissions does not necessarily mean he knows anything about our diesel trannies....
Tim's name here is Timinva if you want to try PMing him. It's usually easier to call him though. He's a site sponsor....
Old 12-05-2007, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same symptoms on my 2001, I adjusted the bands and now it shifts correctly.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:47 AM

actually it is a TV cable issue. I know this because I just had the same issue last week. it wouldn't shift at WOT until I let off the go pedle slightly. I loosened it up slightly and it fixed the shifting right up. it may take several adjustments until its set how you want it though, but like I said, its a TV cable issue.