HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

transmission bands

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission bands

How can i tell if the dealer actually adjusted the bands on my transmissin?
2004 2500 4x4.It is slipping a little under a load in first gear.Its all good after we get going.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 AM

X2 I'll be taking my truck in also to get them done.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:19 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One is inside the pan, so it will be hard to tell. The other is external, and you can put some paint on the nut and the housing to see if the paint has been moved or otherwise tampered with. The adjuster is towards the front of the housing on the passenger side. There will be a large nut ?7/8"? and a threaded stud coming though it that has a torx on the end of it. That is where you would want to paint a mark. Usually you can tell a difference in the way it shifts. I know there was a vast improvement in mine!
Old 12-04-2007, 10:40 AM

Just adjust them yourself, throw a filter and pan gasket on it and save a buttload of money...

The adjustment is simple, loosen nut, turn screwcounter clockwise (tighten the band) until it makes contact (my book says 6 ft/lbs), then back off exactly 2 turns, make sure adjuster doesn't move and tighten the lock nut to 30-35 ft/lbs.

NOW, this is for the 727 Torqueflite trans, but the A518 SHOULD be the same basic adjustment.

I'll be adjusting the bands in the used trans that's going in my Ramcharger, so this was a good refresher, thanks.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TruckU
Just adjust them yourself, throw a filter and pan gasket on it and save a buttload of money...

The adjustment is simple, loosen nut, turn screwcounter clockwise (tighten the band) until it makes contact (my book says 6 ft/lbs), then back off exactly 2 turns, make sure adjuster doesn't move and tighten the lock nut to 30-35 ft/lbs.

NOW, this is for the 727 Torqueflite trans, but the A518 SHOULD be the same basic adjustment.

I'll be adjusting the bands in the used trans that's going in my Ramcharger, so this was a good refresher, thanks.
The is good for the 727/A518 with the single wrap rear band, the trans in question is the 48RE, which uses a double wrap rear band

See this link on what the specs are when adjusting front and rear bands.
http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/transmi...T_band_adj.htm

Back to our regularly sceduled problem,
Slipping in first gear????? If the 48RE works the same as the 47RH/E's then when you gear selector is in D there are no bands applied, the rear clutch and the rear roller clutch are what make 1st gear. Are you sure the trans is not starting out in 2nd?
Have you tried shifting the gear selector into 1? If you have does it make a difference or not?
Old 12-04-2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by JD730
The is good for the 727/A518 with the single wrap rear band, the trans in question is the 48RE, which uses a double wrap rear band

See this link on what the specs are when adjusting front and rear bands.
http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/transmi...T_band_adj.htm

Back to our regularly sceduled problem,
Slipping in first gear????? If the 48RE works the same as the 47RH/E's then when you gear selector is in D there are no bands applied, the rear clutch and the rear roller clutch are what make 1st gear. Are you sure the trans is not starting out in 2nd?
Have you tried shifting the gear selector into 1? If you have does it make a difference or not?
Good post... I did my own trans band adjustment when I did my own 60k service... Spent $250 in fluids (engine, trans, transfer case, F/R difs) $75 in gaskets and filters.... Only took a few hours.... Total $325 vs. $965 spent at the dealership for the same service on 30k!!!
Not to mention the good qualitly time spent with my truck!!!

Follow the instructions on the link supplied above and you can't mess it up... Good info!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 01:39 PM

[QUOTE=JD730;1823272]The is good for the 727/A518 with the single wrap rear band, the trans in question is the 48RE, which uses a double wrap rear band[QUOTE]

Thanks for the additional info. I've never messed with the new stuff, so didn't know. Now I do...
Old 12-05-2007, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by vzdude
One is inside the pan, so it will be hard to tell. The other is external, and you can put some paint on the nut and the housing to see if the paint has been moved or otherwise tampered with. The adjuster is towards the front of the housing on the passenger side. There will be a large nut ?7/8"? and a threaded stud coming though it that has a torx on the end of it. That is where you would want to paint a mark. Usually you can tell a difference in the way it shifts. I know there was a vast improvement in mine!
Front band adj. is on the Drivers side ;-)

I have never noticed a difference after adj. the bands..hummmm Tell you what though, with the Mag tech pan and the monster TC I have, my tranny takes 4.8 gallons of fluid....Much money! I just built my tranny up to a Ramzilla 4!!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:28 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You are correct! After looking again in my dislexic mind! LOL
Old 12-05-2007, 11:26 AM

back to our orginal problem

I like that answer best.I have let a transmission man take the truck to his shop today. The first guy said the first gear clutch was out and it needed a torque converter.$1100.00. This other guy says to drop it off at his house ,leave keys and phone # in the floorboard and he'd drive it to his shop and it was probably just the solenoids? $250.00.I guess it shifts electronically?Yes it does seem to make a difference when i shift to 1. I really have a hard time with auto repairs as this is the only thing i ever pay any one to do for me.I miss my truck.Iam driving my sons 87 toyota 4x4 with a amp behind the seat thumpin my brains.And thanks for all the response!!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:20 PM

If the 'first gear clutch' is out, it won't go in any forward gears.
Make him clarify it or stay away from him.
It may be starting out in 2nd/3rd, that indicates a gov. pressure issue.