HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Trans howling after band adjustment?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans howling after band adjustment?????

I recently adjusted my transmission bands(without an inch/pound torque wrench) and now I am getting a howling noise at certain RPMs when I am accelerating. My question is, does somebody know if this is a cause of a band being too tight or too loose? I've adjusted it twice so far with no good result. I am thinking that it needs to be loosened up.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:58 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Re:Trans howling after band adjustment?????

I do not know if that will cause the howling or not, however an incorrectly adjusted band can cause premature wear on your transmission and shorten it's life significantly.<br><br> Get a good torque wrench and adjust it properly, many places like Auto Zone will loan tools out if you do not have one.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:20 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Did you back off the screw the appropriate number of turns after reaching the torque spec? ???<br>
Old 04-15-2003, 02:32 PM

Well, I didn't have an inch/pound torque wrench and the Craftsman foot/pound torque wrench I was using, which was brand new, didn't work correctly. So, I did like I used to in my 68 Road Runner and got the bolts snug and backed them off the appropriate number of turns. Obviously I did not reach the desired 72 inch/pounds. I think I'm gonna back the rear one off another turn and see what happens. I'm just getting tired of pulling the daggone pan off to adjust the thing. I have adjusted the front band a couple of times and this has not helped the howling at all. I also e-mailed DTT to se if they could help me.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:29 AM

Well, I pulled the pan and loosened up the rear band 1 turn and this did not help. I then loosened up the front band 1.5 turns which did help. No more howling!! My problem is that now I'm back where I was before with the harsh shifts under light throttle. Now I have to decide if I should pull the pan(for the fourth time) and snug down the rear band again......<br>Gee, I think this may be why the previous owner traded this truck in.......................
Old 04-16-2003, 06:32 AM

Try contacting Bill K at www.dieseltrans.com.<br>Your trans cable might be out of adjustment, causing the harsh shifts, or it could be that the previous owner turned up the pressure adjustment.<br><br>Ed
Old 04-16-2003, 06:47 AM

I e-mailed him yesterday and he has not replied yet. I checked the adjustment on the valve body and it is exactly where it should be stock. I have not checked the line pressure since I don't have a guage. I have also checked the throttle cable and adjusted it many times. The only way I can get softer shifts is by loosening up the cable which causes the trans to go through the gears very fast which is unacceptable. If I adjust the cable the other way the shift points get better but then I get really harsh downshifts when I come to a stop. Plus, eventually the trans will go into Limp-home mode and not shift out of 2nd gear... I just can't win with this trans!! &gt; <br> I tell you, I try to live with this but I like my stuff to work right and I just can't leave it alone. I guess I have a problem....
Old 04-16-2003, 06:59 AM

He has a 1-800 telephone Number,.....give him a call.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:44 AM
Banned

I'm like you. I try to live with something that is satisfactory but it just ain't right. Hence why I have modified my truck. ;D It was satisfactory from the factory. Now it's almost perfect. ;D
Old 04-16-2003, 09:27 PM

My 94 ctd was suffering from harsh shifts also. I traced the problem to the throttle valve cable. I don't know if the 98.5 ram has the same set-up?
Old 04-18-2003, 06:42 AM

Yes it does have the cable and adjusting that has not helped. My trans has started howling again under load too. &gt; I just can't seem to find a happy medium. Now my trans shifts like crap and howls!! I'm thinking that my bands or clutches are shot. I may be looking for a new trans or a new truck soon.. :'( <br>An 03 CTD maybe....... [undecided]
Old 04-22-2003, 10:51 AM
Banned

Get a new trans. I'm just guessing here, but it's probably a lot cheaper than getting a new truck. It's just a guess though.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:16 PM
Banned

What's the deal with the tranny? You ever get it fixed?
Old 04-24-2003, 06:13 PM

Nope, not fixed yet. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. I'm starting to think that maybe my valve body is screwed up or it's something electronic. I'm definitely not gonna get a new truck. I thought about it but they won't give me 0% financing for more than 36 months. Hmmmm.....What to do what to do...<br>I may take it to a tranny shop and see if they can find something. I just hate letting anybody mess with my vehicles!
Old 04-24-2003, 06:34 PM

Hey Zilla, I wuz reading the respones and also saw the last thing in your signature &quot;Hmmmm, what else can I waste some money on&quot;, don't waste your money on an AAMCO tranny shop. Mine gave up the ghost in November 2002, and it's starting to act real funny, called them and they said it was probally because of the heavy loads I was hauling, HELL I only weigh 130 and my wife 120#, ain't gonna waste the time typing what I said to them cause it'll get cut out, only 2 words that would get posted, YOU &amp; BYE. Why not just bite the bullet and get a real good beefed up one to handle more bombing, like I should have done :'(

Quick Reply: Trans howling after band adjustment?????