HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Took Bully Dog off, Put back on, Truck WONT START!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Took Bully Dog off, Put back on, Truck WONT START!

Truck is an 06 2500 Auto, almost 100k on the clock. I have had my TripleDog and Outlook monitor for about 2 yrs now. I have pulled it out to update it a few times, but I have not pulled it out or updated it in a year or so. Im running version 2.4.2 now, if that makes any difference. I decided that if it wasn't broke I wasnt gonna fix it, if you know what I mean.

A couple wks ago I pulled the TD out and sold it to a buddy of mine with an 07 5.9. He had to call bullydog tech support to get a password because it said VIN mismatch when we plugged it into his truck. Got his truck programmed just fine after that. He kept it for a few weeks but his clutch was slipping too bad with it, so he decided give it back to me.

In the mean time Ive been cruising around on the stock tune, wishing that I had never taken it out! Other than the obvious lack of power compared to what Ive been used to, the truck has been running perfectly fine. BTW, Ive not had any major problems with this truck, besides getting the tranny rebuilt.

Got the Tdog back this morning. Truck had been sitting since Thurs. nite, so roughly 36 hrs. It has been unusually cold here in central Tx this past week, lows in the teens past few nites.

Plugged in the programmer to reinstall it, and a recovery mode screen pops up. ***??? I wasn't sure what the problem might be since it worked fine in his truck, and I had never seen this screen pop up before. Pressed Y, and had to cycle the key a few times, then Im at the main menu. I choose Install, and go thru a normal install process. When I get done, I choose my power level, then it tells me "must install program to choose power lever" SO, I installed the program again, this time around it asked me to choose between Ford Chevy and Dodge, auto or standard, rev limit, speed limit, and all the preliminary stuff that I did not remember having to do since I had not installed it in over a year. This part looked familiar once I saw it again.

Got the truck programmed. Since it has been so cold, I turned the key on and waited for the grid heater to cycle off, turned key off then back on, off then back on a third time, waiting on the grid heater to turn off each time. Then turned the truck over and it fired up just like it normally would. It idled approx. 3 or 4 seconds, then died , just like I had cut the key off, only I didnt. I attributed this to the abnormally cold weather, started the truck again, same thing, idled 3 or 4 seconds, then died again. Since then, it will turn over but wont fire up. Fuel is not gelled up though, still pumping to the canister under the hood. Temps got into the low 50s this afternoon, and still no luck. Not throwing any codes, none that the triple dog will read anyway.

I have heard of the ECMs going into some sort of security mode after being programmed, and Im having the exact same problems. Anyone else heard of this???

Need this truck back on the road ASAP, any help is appreciated!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 11:40 PM

Do you have the security key on this truck?
Old 01-09-2010, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by jkitterman
Do you have the security key on this truck?
Are you talking about the little black key that some trucks have under the steering column??? If so, then no mine doesnt have one, but it is acting like one would if it had been pulled out.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does your buddy have that type of key. it mite have strored his info into your truck
Old 01-10-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by rich
does your buddy have that type of key. it mite have strored his info into your truck
...I dont know but Ill check with him, thats definitely a possibility. be back shortly with the answer
Old 01-10-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black98LS1
Truck is an 06 2500 Auto, almost 100k on the clock. I have had my TripleDog and Outlook monitor for about 2 yrs now. I have pulled it out to update it a few times, but I have not pulled it out or updated it in a year or so. Im running version 2.4.2 now, if that makes any difference. I decided that if it wasn't broke I wasnt gonna fix it, if you know what I mean.

A couple wks ago I pulled the TD out and sold it to a buddy of mine with an 07 5.9. He had to call bullydog tech support to get a password because it said VIN mismatch when we plugged it into his truck. Got his truck programmed just fine after that. He kept it for a few weeks but his clutch was slipping too bad with it, so he decided give it back to me.

In the mean time Ive been cruising around on the stock tune, wishing that I had never taken it out! Other than the obvious lack of power compared to what Ive been used to, the truck has been running perfectly fine. BTW, Ive not had any major problems with this truck, besides getting the tranny rebuilt.

Got the Tdog back this morning. Truck had been sitting since Thurs. nite, so roughly 36 hrs. It has been unusually cold here in central Tx this past week, lows in the teens past few nites.

Plugged in the programmer to reinstall it, and a recovery mode screen pops up. ***??? I wasn't sure what the problem might be since it worked fine in his truck, and I had never seen this screen pop up before. Pressed Y, and had to cycle the key a few times, then Im at the main menu. I choose Install, and go thru a normal install process. When I get done, I choose my power level, then it tells me "must install program to choose power lever" SO, I installed the program again, this time around it asked me to choose between Ford Chevy and Dodge, auto or standard, rev limit, speed limit, and all the preliminary stuff that I did not remember having to do since I had not installed it in over a year. This part looked familiar once I saw it again.

Got the truck programmed. Since it has been so cold, I turned the key on and waited for the grid heater to cycle off, turned key off then back on, off then back on a third time, waiting on the grid heater to turn off each time. Then turned the truck over and it fired up just like it normally would. It idled approx. 3 or 4 seconds, then died , just like I had cut the key off, only I didnt. I attributed this to the abnormally cold weather, started the truck again, same thing, idled 3 or 4 seconds, then died again. Since then, it will turn over but wont fire up. Fuel is not gelled up though, still pumping to the canister under the hood. Temps got into the low 50s this afternoon, and still no luck. Not throwing any codes, none that the triple dog will read anyway.

I have heard of the ECMs going into some sort of security mode after being programmed, and Im having the exact same problems. Anyone else heard of this???

Need this truck back on the road ASAP, any help is appreciated!!!
I am almost willing to bet that your buddy reprogrammed his wheel size and did not return that to stock when he took it off. When you plugged it into your truck it reprogrammed your ecm with his vin number. the only way to fix it is you have to call bullydog Monday morning so they can walk you thru the steps to rewrite your vin back into your computer. The same thing he had to do when you sold his the triple dog.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:39 AM

No his truck doesnt have one either
Old 01-10-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rpainter
I am almost willing to bet that your buddy reprogrammed his wheel size and did not return that to stock when he took it off. When you plugged it into your truck it reprogrammed your ecm with his vin number. the only way to fix it is you have to call bullydog Monday morning so they can walk you thru the steps to rewrite your vin back into your computer. The same thing he had to do when you sold his the triple dog.
I am hoping that is the case. He said he didnt adjust any options though. I am hoping that bullydog can help me out tomorrow morning. I do not want to have to deal with a dealership!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 03:33 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

My neighbor had the same issue with the truck starting and only running for a few seconds and then dying. Granted he had never had a programmer on his truck but it turned out the key was faulty. We found his spare key and it fired right up and still runs fine to this day. Just an option you can try...hope you get it figured out.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by jhenson
My neighbor had the same issue with the truck starting and only running for a few seconds and then dying. Granted he had never had a programmer on his truck but it turned out the key was faulty. We found his spare key and it fired right up and still runs fine to this day. Just an option you can try...hope you get it figured out.
It was definitely worth a try, but it didn't work. Now Im just watching the clock, waiting for bullydog to open this morning, then maybe they can give me some answers! 30 more mins!!!!