HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Thank God for ERS!!! Caliper sticking???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank God for ERS!!! Caliper sticking???

I just got home from a lengthy tow on a Ford flatbed. I think my caliper hung up while on my commute home from work. The egt's were steadily climbing and I thought it was an apps problem and then the truck began to shake some so I pulled off and smoke was bellowing from the pass. caliper (I hope it's the caliper and not bearing). Anyway, while I was waiting for the tow, I tried to move it and after it cooled down it moved freely for @ 300 yds and then started the same thing. When it's stuck like this the peddle is hard with no play. Does this sound like a caliper because by the time I get to look at it, all will be cooled down and it'll probably work like a charm. And if it is the caliper, aren't you supposed to change them in pairs?

This now explains my mileage decrease over the last couple of weeks.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:21 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Could be a hose? They seem to be more temperature related than the caliper itself. My diagnosis starts when it is hot and locked up, I open the bleeder screw. If it free with the bleeder open, then it is the hose. If not, then it is the caliper. Bearings usually give you a spongy pedal. When they get enough play in them they will actually compress the caliper by pushing out at the pads. Then the pedal feels soft until you hit it once or twice bringing the pads tight to the rotor.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:51 PM

Thanks vz. I cracked the bleeder and sure enough it broke free so I guess I'll be out $30 instead of $80. Does the hose just go to that block on the fender? or does it go all the way to the master cylinder? What causes this? Does the line collapse when it gets hot? It sure must have got hot because the rubber gasket on the master cylinder cap is disformed. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:05 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

WHOA!! How misformed is the master cyl cap? If there has been petroleum products put in the brake system, all of these things can occur. Misformed cap, bad hose, and everything else in the brake system could be contaminated. Don't want to scare you, but check it over real close.

Typically the hose just goes bad and collapses inside, and yes it just goes to the block on the fender well.

If in fact the fluid has had any type of fluid put in it besides brake fluid, you will want to replace anything that has rubber in the brake system. Calipers, hoses, master cyl., wheel cyls, ABS parts? Could someone else have put anything in there? Quicky Lube?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:05 PM

I've had to replace the brake hoses on the front calipers of my truck (see sig). The hose just goes from the caliper to a little "mounting block" under the fender. There is a steel line that runs the rest of the way from the "mounting block" to the brake master.

When my hose failed it collapsed interally and would not let any brake fluid flow through it. Apparently, this is a common thing...

Ya might want to check the runout on your discs... they might have warped from the heat...

New pads might be in the works too, they could have become glazed.

Sean.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by vzdude
WHOA!! How misformed is the master cyl cap?
It's not too bad...just have to squeeze the rubber insert some to get it to go in. I'm the only one that's messed with it but I did put synthetic brake fluid in a while back. Hopefully I didn't screw up. I might pull my rotor and have it checked because there was alot of smoke coming from down there. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:28 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Whew! Thats a relief! Yeah, I've seen them a little hard to get to go back in sometimes. But when they are all huge and spongy, it usually not good!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:40 AM

Hey VZ, please explain how the hose can cause this without making the truck pull. The more I think about it, it seems like it should have been pulling to that side (brakes being applied) and if it doesn't engage the caliper, then what causes the "braking force" on the front end? The only symptom was I could tell the truck was under a load via EGT's/boost guages and the front started to shake is if I had a not on the tire. I've looked everything over and it all looks good...brakes and rotor are fine. I've ordered the hose and will see tomorrow if that's it (I hope) but I'm the type that has to understand everything or I can't sleep at night. Thanks for help!!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:53 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Seems it affects some a lot more than others. There could be a little pulling going on there, and just not noticing it. Tires, road crown, slop in steering, tons of reasons why . I've had some people that can tell right away that the truck is pulling one direction when they hit their brakes, and others like you- just started smoking with no pulling or anything. I've had them go bad on my own vehicles and it seems each situation has been different. Had one start smoking, replaced calipers, hoses, pads, and rotors. That thing always did have a little pull AFTER all the new parts! Bled it a couple thousand times at least! Can't really explain that one! I hope that helped?!??! Probably not!
Old 08-16-2007, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you're calipers sticking it can pull to the side thats sticking while driving. but when you hit the brake it will pull to the opposite side because thats the one that works. i have had m left side stick/dragg, pullin to the left, till it smoked. and pull to the right when stopping. i've also had it not pull to the left and only pull to the right when braking.
the 1st time i broke down the caliper and used a super fine emory cloth to cleanit up and put back togeather. worked for about a year. then went ahead and bought new calipers(rebuilt?). 2 years later the left side, again, wore out 1st and was sticking till it smoked. the piston side almst completely. put new pads, cleaned up and greased all the sliding parts real good and it's fine.

john, 95 2500 td, 237k, cc,lb, mild mods, tc lockout, kdp tabbed, 410's
Old 08-27-2007, 09:39 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Update from another post.....seems like all 4 of his wheels were dragging.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by vzdude
Update from another post.....seems like all 4 of his wheels were dragging.

I discovered that after I replaced the hose and right before I decided to take it in to have it fixed. Come to find out it was the master cylinder. I jacked it up tonight and all 4 wheels turn freely so hopefully I'm done with it. Thanks guys.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:41 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Hope so for your sake! I hate bleeding brakes! LOL
Old 08-29-2007, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck has been pulling to the passenger side for a while. I have the truck in pieces right now. The passenger side front pads are gone but the drivers side have almost 1/4" left. How do I find out what needs to be fixed?