HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Temporarily No Brakes/Pwr Steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temporarily No Brakes/Pwr Steering

My truck sat from 3pm Tues to 1145am Thursday.. I went outside and started it (did not have it plugged in and it got down to about 28 deg here last nite).. It started without any problem.. I let it idle for about 3 to 4 minutes while i finished up some stuff..

I hopped in, put it in gear, released the parking brake AND It just started to sorta roll off.. I had no power steering (almost like the steering column was locked) and the brakes were very hard to press and very little response... It was like the engine wasnt running and it was in neutral..

I got it stopped.. backed up, still the same thing.. I shut it down and restarted it and finally on the third restart everything seems normal..

Does anyone know what is going on??

Once before it sat for several weeks and I had the transmission fluid drain back into the pan and it took 20 seconds or so for it to build back up.. But this wasnt the same thing..

Any ideas??
Old 12-02-2004, 06:27 PM

Maybe air in the hydroboost system?

Water?

Check the P/S fluid to insure it is up to level and bleed the air out if there is any?

Could be wrong, I dont have much experiance with hydroboost sytems on the Dodge trucks
Old 12-02-2004, 10:57 PM

Could be in the pump or the hydro booster. First try changing the fluid the best you can and use power steering oil, not atf. The next time it happens try jamming the brake pedal real hard. Sometimes it will free up a stuck relief valve. You could remove the pressure fitting on the pump and use a magnet to pull the relief valve out of the pump. Wash it and check it for wear or burrs. Reassemble it with fresh p/s oil. If you have a guage setup available now would be a good time to check the pressure. you may have to leave it outside to get cold to do a final test of the pump before replacing parts. Most likely cause will be in the pump, second will be the booster. Good luck

Howard