HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

tcc lock/unlock

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry tcc lock/unlock

hi everyone. john here. proud part owner w/a 95, 3/4 ton, long bed, auto ctd w/195k miles(10k ours). my GF and i bought this to pull a small 5vr(5klbs) we bought. we've had it since 10/04. had to replace the ball jnts and calipers, but is clean, and seems to be well taken care of and looks like it was not used for towing. i've been playin catch up since i stumbled onto this board. a great resource!!!! read about the kdp, and acid coolant(to late to check it 1st).
sorry about asking about what may be an old issue, and after searching for the subject and reading about current similar post, maybe some one can help.
my tcc disengages and engages in o/d at any given speed even on flat ground. it also does it in 3rd w- o/d turned off. in3rd at times it wont lock up unless i back off the rpms or accellerate gradually before hittin od button. it has gone for hundreds of miles just fine and has also started acting up right out of the chute. i've been to a mech shop w/a good rep that took it to a trannny shop to find no codes. one of the mech said he knew of someone w/the same prob that had cleaned batt terminals and fixed it. i replaced all the cable ends, wirebrushed the cables till shinny, but didnt do the opp ends. didn't help. i've been to 3 tranny shops on my own(it never acts up for them!!! and 2 ran code checks), had it serviced(found lots of fine metal on the drain plug mag, and bits of aluminum)w/ no luck. the last shop said he knew exactly what was wrong and had fixed 4 dodge diesels w/same prob by replacing the alternator. out of desparation i did that to no avail. it does seem like it's becoming worse. i saw a ref to dtt and will call mon morn. right now my trucks sitting at another shop waiting for them to check it out. they're going to check for extended duty cycle on solenoid and also mentioned a module. they also have a good rep but i'm frustrated and desperate. on our last trip to CO it scared me a couple times and i'm concerned about tearin sumpin up.
ive read bits here but nothing the same that i can find.
any advice would be appreciated.
saw it mentioned somerwhere here about batteries, i've noticed my truck has group 24 batteries.

thanks,

john
95 ex cab 3/4 tn lb ctd, 195k, in tx
Old 06-05-2005, 03:48 PM

Fluid level ok? This is probably caused by electrical noise. Clean the battery terminals and the grounds under the passenger side battery. If this fixes it , it will eventually come back. The best fix is a noise filter from DTT, ( about $40 ) 1 866 504 4002

Many posts on this problem, very common.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like the TPS, surprised none of the tranny shops figured it out, very common problem.
Some people have luck cleaning them, if it needs replacement go to an auto parts for a new one, not the dealer.
Testing procedure here http://dodgeram.org/tech/transmissio...TPS_adjust.htm
Old 06-05-2005, 07:32 PM

I had the same problem. As Infidel stated mine was the TPS. Do a search for TPS and I'm sure you will have information overload. Many good threads already on replacing, adjusting and trying to clean the TPS.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would check the TPS voltage. It should be at .9 to 1 volt at idle. You can do this with a scan tool or a digital volt meter. Most likely you'll find it well below this threshold. If thats the case you can often "modify" the sensor to give it a little "adjustability".
Old 06-06-2005, 09:38 PM

yeah then when you're done take the wires coming out the tps out of the wire loom...that thing is a death trap trap for vibration/corrosion and interference
Old 06-07-2005, 09:46 AM

thanks for all the feed back. i feed all this to my mech who has the truck + some of the stuff about using capacitors as noise filters. i've been down w/a bug or i'd have tried to do some of this myself.

thanks again,'
john
95 x cab 3/4 tn lb ctd, 195k, in tx, and HOT
Old 06-07-2005, 06:19 PM

i had the same problem and ended up having to replace my tranny computer. its was a cheap junk yard fix. but i replaced tps first and that didnt fix it. just food for thought...
Old 06-07-2005, 10:50 PM

well, the shop told me the tps was ok. w/in factory limits @ .8 v. i talked them into setting it a 1. i get it back in the morning. it is an intermittent prob so we'll see.
DTT told me it was either the tps or tranny temp sending unit. one down.

stone, did you just go ahead and swap the comp because it was kinda like "what have i got to lose"? i take it it worked.

thanks
john
95 x cab 3/4 tn lb ctd, 195k, in tx, and HOT
Old 06-08-2005, 09:47 PM

Even if the TPS voltage signal is OK when tested at idle it doesn't mesn that the TPS is OK. As you move the throttle and therefore the TPS the voltage being sent to the computer changes (increases). If the TPS is bad the voltage will not smoothly increase but it will "jump" up and down to different voltages. The same thing happens when you move the throttle while driving. The voltage "jumps" and causes the torque converter to unlock.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:35 AM

so whats a guy to do. replace it? spray some cleaner in it and use some kinda noise filter? got it back and so far so good. i can see a difference. and so far no flakiness. i do notice it does'nt unlock if i release the throttle, which is ok w/me, but does if i touch the brake. apparently the voltage was below 8. it's 1.04 now.

john