HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

TC...lock and unlock BAD.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC...lock and unlock BAD.....

well here it is....i had this issue about a month and a half ago....i read the TECH tips...did the Alt. to Batt. neg ground wrap.....and that solved it untill now...it seems to be acting up really bad..(or what i think is really bad)...wont hold 3/4 gears...between 1300 and 1700 rpmish.....if i keep it above 1800 or take it out of OD it will hold....this only happens on a slight uphill or large up hill....it hasnt happened on flat or around town driving....

whats next....APPS reset, grounds cleaning, or is it a wash only to reappear.

should i just scrap it deal with it for awhile and just do a tranny rebuild...

thanks

NCA
Old 08-04-2007, 05:09 PM

lock and unlock

Welcome to the club, I went through all the same fix's and ended up having my alternator rebuilt. That solved my problem. How many miles do you have on your present alternator? My started acting up at about 150,000 miles.

Good luck

TallTom
Old 08-04-2007, 05:45 PM

do you think that is it....or is it a sign that the tranny is going....i would much rather hear ALT rebuild...i did read a thread where people were having good luck with rebuilding the ALT vurses tranny work....

NCA
Old 08-04-2007, 05:57 PM

well i dont know if the alt will fix but i had friend that had the same problems and ended up with a new tranny did you check your batt. he did that too tranny shop said that is a real problem on dodge and f... trannys.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try cleaning the two gray connectors over by the passenger side battery....or if you have heat shrink and solder handy, eliminate the connectors all together.

....just another step in the "cheap" approach.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:31 PM

thanks...

gonna check that connect....another thing....on the APPS reset procedure it says to turn the key to the "run" position.....

as i know it...that would be the "on" position...right

you have:

1. key in normal off position
2. one turn back...that is acc. position...ie...raido,windows, cig, etc...
3. one turn forward...??????
4. two turn forward...i know this as "on" position....where dash lights up and pre start position where "wait to start" happens....

so i would figure that the position mentioned is the "ON" or is it a different position.

thanks
Old 08-04-2007, 06:57 PM

The things you should do:
1 - clean the battery terminals
2 - clean the grd connections under the passenger battery
3 - connect a grd wire from the PCM ( on the firewall behind the airfilter ) - you should have a grd wire on the lower center corner of the PCM-run a grd wire from here to the battery.

4 - Batteries that are weak can cause this - the batteries act as a noise suppressor - replace the batteries.

5 - Order a noise filter from DTT

(
Old 08-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Banned

Mine just started doing that a week ago. I probably should have done these separately to see which one, if any, worked. But I cleaned the negative terminals (weren't bad really) of both batteries, wrapped the alternator ground wire with foil and electrical tape, and did the apps reset. One of them worked. I did notice a big difference in pedal feel and engine response after the apps reset - makes me think that something was amiss there.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:55 PM

copy that.....i did the APPS reset...big difference in throttle response...only thing is i have new rubber matts on the floor board and they sit higher than the stock matts....i wonder if when i pressed down the throttle it went to the bottom....lol...that extra 1/9000000000 on an inch can make all the difference in the top end.....lol

on a side note....i hear that the APPS reset only works once or twice....what if i wanted to do it agan in 6 months...will it respond to the reset again???? (saying that i get the TC locking and unlocking again)

NCA
Old 08-06-2007, 12:03 PM

I have done the APPS reset with some good results but I suspect that removing and reconnecting the battery terminals was what caused the change, - just my opinion.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Angler
copy that.....i did the APPS reset...big difference in throttle response...only thing is i have new rubber matts on the floor board and they sit higher than the stock matts....i wonder if when i pressed down the throttle it went to the bottom....lol...that extra 1/9000000000 on an inch can make all the difference in the top end.....lol

on a side note....i hear that the APPS reset only works once or twice....what if i wanted to do it agan in 6 months...will it respond to the reset again???? (saying that i get the TC locking and unlocking again)

NCA
Heh, that extra 1/90.... felt like it was the spot my turbo started to work... I did it with the floor mats out so that I'd save fuel after I put them back in

I'm not sure if there is a limit. I recall reading in another thread that you can do it two times before dealer intervention. But, then someone else said it was not true. So, I dunno. Quality follow-up post Eh?

Regarding
Old 01-21-2008, 07:30 AM

added that dtt noise filter and works like a charm, took me 20 min to install. My truck the tranny was locking and unlocking at about 48 mph and driving me crazy. Seams to work better at all speeds.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:52 PM

My dad's truck had the same problem. The apps reset would work for a month or so then start acting up again. I finally did an apps reset, cleaned the batt terminals again, wrapped the alternator wire and ran a wire from the computer frame on the passenger side fire wall to ground. All this was done over a year ago, so far so good.

Good luck
Old 01-25-2008, 10:48 PM

To eliminate alt as problem, simply disconnect the small two wire connector on alternator. You will probablly get codes and check gages lite. You could do the disconnect when problem is showing up. Truck will certainlly run for half hour or more without charging.