HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

stop/brake lights are out I need to fix soon !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stop/brake lights are out I need to fix soon !!

I'm getting ready to make a long trip and I'm having problems with my stop lights, I checked the fuse and it was blown, before replacing it I checked the bulbs and they all looked fine and the drive/and turn light works fine, however the cargo lamp which I think has a stop or driving light in it was not working I took it apart and it had a short in it from a radio antenna someone had wired in, and there where some burned wires, I fixed that and re assembled the light and the cargo light works but not the stop or driving ligth on top of the rear window, and also no stop lights, (red driving lights yes on the lights that are mounted on the bed next to the tail gate) , but no brake lights) I search the post but have not found something to help diagnose this problem, after reading the book on and looking at this, looks like this circuit is routed trough a few different switches, can some one tell me of any know problems with these wiring that are and easy fix ?? here are some points that would help.

#1 is the brake and blinker on the same bulb, if so the blinker flasher could be bad, or the turn signal switch on the steering column.

#2 the diagram shows a ground that ties in to the no seat belt light, then goes to the cab light, does any one know approximately where is the ground for the seat belts.

#3 maybe the ground for the wiring is bad at the tail light location does anyone know where is the ground for the tail lights ??
Any input would be appreciated.

#4 the cruise control is not working, I'm thinking that I read that the power for the brake lights comes is also tied in to the cruese control ??

#5 does any one have the exact wiring diagram for this truck.

#6 I know that the switch at the break pedal is supposed to have a hot wire all the time and that with the pedal depressed you have two hot wires so that is where I'm going to be the starting point tomorrow,

I suppose I could start trowing part at the truck but I would like to develop some electrical trouble shooting skills, and I really need a quick fix here, your tips and clear explanations would be greatly apriciated.

Andy
Old 04-20-2009, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
for the cruse ,

if the cruse light in the dash comes on , try seting it while lifting up on the brake pedel as it may just need an adjustment / replacment ?
mine did not work because of a damaged vacuum line ?
i think you have to be above 35 mph ?

get a test light just do some searching for the brake lights , broken wire bad ground switch adjustment ?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:10 PM

ok

Will check the switch, would be great if the cruse Control comes back on this fix,
Old 04-21-2009, 04:49 PM

found the problem

Looks like the short on the cab light caused a wire and part of the connector to burn out on the trucks brake pedal switch, this switch handles not only the brake light but also the cruese control, and is tied to the ABS so Im hoping once I fix it it will resolve all the issues.

does any know where I can get a spice for the wiring harnes that is actually on the truck, as the brake light male connector is melted ?? I also need the tempeture gage electrical connector which hooks in at the light.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2009, 08:55 PM

Problem fixed

the break switch had a melted wire from the patch on the bed brake light, I got a replacement switch and the dealer had a replacement harnes for the the burn wire I changed the whole thing and the lights worked great, I just addjusted the braket on top of the pedal and lights work fine...

thanks to all