HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Still having starting issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 03:58 PM
DTR question asker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still having starting issues.

Well, I am taking my truck in to get new shocks, front rotors, etc. on Monday. I still can't get the thing to start, I posted about this a while ago. It just turns over, and seems like its running as long as the starter is held down, and if you step on the accelerator with the starter engaged it will revv up, but as soon as you let off the starter it dies. It was around 65* today so I knew that its not an issue with gelled fuel or anything. The meter drops when the grid heaters are on, so I know they are working fine. Also, I touched the housing around the grid heaters and it was warm, so I know they are functioning. I tried pressing the manual fuel prime bulb a few times, and it was pretty hard to press so I would think that it is getting fuel ok. After a couple of tries I could smell diesel fuel in the air. I don't know if that is a sign to anything. If I need to check something, I'd appreciate if someone would tell me exactly where whatever needs to be checked is, if that makes sense, and exactly what I need to do in order to check it . Hope thats not to much, I just wanna get my truck back on the road.

Thanks,
DFO
Old 01-27-2007, 04:36 PM
RCW

Check your fuel injection pump shut off solenoid. If it lifts when the starter circuit is actuated, but will not hold when you let off the key, it can either be a bad or dirty solenoid or a bad relay on the firewall.

A quick way to know if it is the shut off solenoid is to simply wire it up so the truck will start and run. Just remember that you have to unwire it to get it to shut off if you try this. If you have a helper, have them attempt the start procedure while you hold the solenoid up with your hand. Once they release the key, keep holding it up, and if it stays running until you release it, you can check the solenoid and the relay to find the trouble. The solenoid is on the rear of the injection pump, connected with a linkage - you cannot miss it.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Check your fuel shutoff solenoid. It should be in UP position while cranking, and stay up when key is relaxed to RUN.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:38 PM
DTR question asker

Thanks. When I have someone around to give me a hand I'll be sure to check that. In the meantime, any other possible solutions?

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:13 PM

With the ing. in the on/run pos. go out under the hood & lift the linkage of the shutoff , if it lifts to a click & stays up , then the lift circut is bad [ relay ] , you also have to be careful about the stater solinoid contacts sticking and back feeding to shutoff .
Larry Bs is a good site .

http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/default.htm
LarryB's Dodge starting problems solved here.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:41 PM

as mentioned by everyone i suspect its ur fuel shut-off solenoid...don't just replace it check the wiring that runs from it...if my memory serves me well it is a blue wire..could be corroded or open to the elements...i forget if there is a relay for it but if there is then quickly swap the relay with another one and check...but those solenoids don't necessarily fail...check the wiring
Old 01-27-2007, 06:23 PM
DTR question asker

I'm having a hard time finding this thing... got any pics?
Old 01-27-2007, 07:53 PM

Here is a site that will give you a pic.

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/trouble..._solenoid.html
Old 01-27-2007, 08:07 PM

This may or may not apply to your truck but I had an old gasser that had a bad ignition switch. If you cranked the starter it would start and as soon as you let off the key it died. sounds just like what you've got going on. If you played with the key and let off very slowly you could get the starter to stop spinning and keep the engine running. but the switch had to be replaced. anyway just a thought good luck.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:47 PM
DTR question asker

Thanks, I appreciate all the help guys. I'll definately check that one out of the solonoid isn't the issue.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:55 AM

im pretty sure its the actual starter, sounds like a problem with my truck. the truck was really hard to start but when you touched the gas while cranking it the engine would turn over. you can take the starter out (easy to do, but make sure you disconect the battery) and take it to autozone, they test them there and will be able to tell you if its bad.