HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Starting Trouble...Transfer Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 12:09 PM
hlc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting Trouble...Transfer Pump?

Greetings.<br>This is my first time on the site and it looks like there is a wealth of info here. I did a search and could not find an answer to my specific problem so here goes.<br><br>I have a 93 D250 with 113k miles. Runs great and has never given me a moments trouble in the 50K that I've had it...until last night. Turned the key and the engine turned over but did not &quot;fire&quot;. After about 15 minutes of looking for obvious things, I reached in and pumped the handle on, what I assume is, the transfer pump. Turned the key and it fired right up. Drove about an hour, shut down, cranked right up about 5 hours later. The next morning, cranked right up, drove about 30 minutes, shut down, tried to crank about 10 minutes later and had same problem as the night before. Reached in a pumped the handle again and it still wouldn't start. Kept trying (pumping and turning key) for about 5 or 10 minutes and it finally started. Another thing I noticed while pumping the little handle was that I could pump it once and then it was like the handle wasn't attached to anything. I could wait a few seconds and try again and I could feel &quot;pressure&quot; then nothing again. Kind of like the plunger or whatever the handle was attached to was sticking. I drove straight to the dealer (did not shut it off) went to the parts counter, described the problem, and they said that it sounded like a transfer pump. I said okay I'll take one. When he told me it would be $399 I said let me go do some homework. If this were a $50 part I would throw one on and try it out but for $399 I want to make sure. Sorry for the long winded post but just wanted to get all the details in. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:30 PM

Re:Starting Trouble...Transfer Pump?

Next thing I'd do if this is a Cummins part is call Cummins<br>and get a quote from them. I dont know about the first gen<br>trucks, but the 24v lift pumps are about a half the cost @<br>Cummins as opposed to the dealers. Let us know how it turns<br>out. Good Luck
Old 12-19-2002, 04:29 PM
hlc

Well I just got back from changing the transfer pump. So far so good. I was even surprised when I went to start the truck after changing the pump. It fired right up. I really expected to have to do a lot of pumping and cranking to get the fuel flowing again. <br>I did call the local Cummins shop, they had the part in stock...$79.95. I think the dealer must have been looking at the wrong part. I really hope they were because I will probably get banned from there after I finish telling them what I think about them if they were, in deed, going to sell me that same part for $399.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:00 PM

hlc,

First off, welcome! like me, you found a great place to get info from a bunch of guys (and some gals :P) with some valuable experience on these trucks, to help you through some repairs...

I had the same troubles when I did my first post here, with my lift pump, and they helped me out quickly too.

Your first lesson is: Indeed the dealer was going to charge you the $399 for the part that they actually paid about $49 for! (from cummin's)

I'm glad you got it fixed quickly, and saved yourself some $$$, it leaves some left over for more beer when you work on your rig!

Cheers,

Pete
Old 12-19-2002, 06:21 PM
hlc

Thanks guys for the advice and words of encouragment. I am still kinda holding my breath to see if this problem resurfaces. Gotta run....I think I'll go spend some of that beer money I saved.......
Old 12-20-2002, 08:48 AM

HLC, Don't throw the old one away yet. There is a filter on the bottom of that pump if I'm not mistaken. Sometimes, the screen gets clogged and has to be cleaned.<br><br>Also, make sure your fuel return line to the tank isn't bad and losing prime. That can cause the same type of problem you are having with the fuel having to be hand pumped back to the engine to get it to start.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:09 AM
hlc

Thanks Smoke Dog,<br>I haven't thrown the old one away yet, almost did, but decided to hold on to it. This morning things are still going well. It has cranked fine....twice. Still keeping the fingers crossed
Old 12-20-2002, 01:17 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HLC, Welcome.. ;D.<br><br>It looks like you got your problem fixed. But I would check the fuel lines as SmokeDog suggested to make sure you aren't getting any air in the system. Those lift pumps are the usual culprit for such problems.<br><br>And for gosh sakes, go to Cummins for parts!!!! They also know more about that engine than any other and where I go in Calgary, the shop guys are always ready to help out with advice and tips to get you on your way.<br><br>Good luck and hope to see you in the 1st Gen Forum..<br><br>J-eh
Old 01-18-2003, 08:08 AM
hlc

Hi everyone,<br>Just wanted to post a follow-up on my “transfer pump” problem. I feel like an idiot but I will swallow my pride in hopes that someone else reading this won’t make the same mistake that I did. <br><br>After putting on the new transfer pump my problem stayed away for approximately three weeks and then resurfaced. I did a visual inspection on my fuel lines and saw nothing to be concerned with. I was fed up with this problem so I took it to the dealer. The service manager called me and said that my transfer pump was bad again! I went to Cummins, they sold me another and said they would refund me when I brought the other one back. I took the new pump to the dealer and called them the next day to see if the truck was fixed. They said it was and proceeded to tell me what they found. He said upon further investigation they found that my fuel filter wasn’t installed properly. I installed the fuel filter but it was the first time for me.<br><br>I know that everyone is thinking that if I had changed the fuel filter and it wasn’t working, why didn’t I check it first….well that’s the funny thing and is why I am posting this. I changed the fuel filter and had driven the truck ~3,000 miles when I had the original problem. I changed the transfer pump and drove another three weeks (~1500 miles) without incident. Anyhow, it’s working now and just wanted to put this out in hopes that it may help someone out in the future…..Joe <br>
Old 01-18-2003, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just out of curiousity, did you forget to put the square o-ring on the threaded nipple that the filter screws on or leave the old one on there? I had the same problems you mentioned above when I first got my truck. The owner before me had re used the square o-ring with a new filter and it was crushed, allowing air to enter the system after the truck set.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:16 AM
hlc

Okie, <br>Not really sure. The dealer fixed the problem so I didn't really see what they did. He tried explaining it to me over the phone but I was kinda busy when he was telling me so I wasn't able to really listen to him. He said something internal had come undone and that's about all I caught.