HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Starting Problems 2003 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Starting Problems 2003 Diesel

Having problems with slow starting in 2003 Dodge 3500 Diesel. Cranks good. Thought the lifter pump was going bad. Repalced a pump (module??) in the tank. This did not correct the problem. Am now being told that was the wrong part (All coming from a Dodge Dealer in Tulsa, OK) and an adapter kit of somekind is needed instead. Of course since the pump was installed, it is non-returnable for full credit of $350+. Dodge dealer says there are 7 of these parts on order and does not know when they can get one. Have other Dodge owners come upon this problem? I know of 3 different trucks within the last 4 months that have had similar problems, not a warranty item, and apparently not a recall item. It seems is there are 7 of the same parts on order at one dealership, that should tell Dodge something. First they sell the wrong part, tell me it is the wrong part, and tell me I cannot return it for a refund. This situatuion does nothing for the integrity of Dodge.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:55 PM

to me it still sounds like a bad lift pump. On your 03 the filter is mounted on the back of the fuel filter housing not in the tank. No the dealer cannot get the old pump they have to do an in-tank retro-fit with the new pump they are selling now. Dodge started using these on 05 trucks. Should be a warranty item if you are still under the 100,000 mile engine warranty. If not best bet is to go with a Walbro set up for under $400. www.glacierdiesel.com Great product and no more fuel worries. To do some more troubleshooting is check for codes or check fuel pressure before cp3 should be a minumum of 5-8 p.s.i. You running any mods right now or are you stock?
Old 07-28-2007, 07:27 PM

Question

No codes, no modifications.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:39 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

bdewey: Was "on your 03 the filter is mounted on the back of the fuel filter housing" a typo or am I once again totally lost. Sorry to butt into your thread slgorton but I have been trying to figure out where my pump is located (just in case) with a build date of 03-04-03. I see some sort of a gadget behind the filter but dont know if it is just fuel filter stuff or if its the lift pump itself (I am used to older gas jobs with a single mechanical pump). Sorry again for butting in without helping with your problem.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:57 PM

On an '03, the stock LP is mounted on the back of the fuel filter housing.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bark
bdewey: Was "on your 03 the filter is mounted on the back of the fuel filter housing" a typo or am I once again totally lost. Sorry to butt into your thread slgorton but I have been trying to figure out where my pump is located (just in case) with a build date of 03-04-03. I see some sort of a gadget behind the filter but dont know if it is just fuel filter stuff or if its the lift pump itself (I am used to older gas jobs with a single mechanical pump). Sorry again for butting in without helping with your problem.
Should be "the fuel lift pump should be mounted right behind the fuel filter." Follow the fuel line that comes into the back of the filter housing and you should find it about 6 inches from the filter. Personally, I wouldn't waste another dime on one of those pumps. they have been having failures for years and even if you get one that works well, you can only guess how long it will last, even when they put them in the tank they still fail frequently and it just makes them harder to get to. I recommend the Air dog, but almost anything is better than the stock pump.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:56 AM

yes the lift pump is on the back of the filter up until the 05 model year when they started putting them in the tank. It is a black cylinder attached to the back of the housing. The main reason they failed is they had to pull the fuel from the tank instead of push like the new in-tank set-up.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:22 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Thanks for the info people. Clarified things for me. So, if mine goes out should I plan on going with an Air Dog or other good brand but not go with an in tank unit? slgorton: Did I understand correctly that they replaced your stock LP with an in tank LP? You refered to a "module" and I got confused (happens easy to me).
Old 07-29-2007, 04:12 PM

I am having trouble with my 03 HO 6 speed 4x4 75000 miles still under warranty. Engine surging above idle and through gear changes until I get to about 60 mph. fuel mileage dropped from 27 to 17.4 when engine started this surging problem. Could this be a fuel pump problem? Dealer could not trouble shoot this problem.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:09 PM

Bark if you are still under warranty of 100,000 miles the dealer can install the in-tank conversion if they are convinced that the LP is the problem. Is a decent conversion if you stay stock, but would just go ahead and upgrade with an Airdog, Glacier, or FASS set-up. Choice is yours but my money is on the Glacier set-up.
Elkchaseryour suring issues can be a lift pump going out or your FCA on the CP3 pump. Sometimes your FCA will gum up and not allow it to operate smoothly. Also check your filter? When was last time you changed it? Should be done at least every 7500 to 10000 miles.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the info people.