HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

squeeky rear suspension and off camber front wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squeeky rear suspension and off camber front wheel?

I've got two new problems that are mysterious to me- this truck is becoming a problem....<br><br>1- I've got a squeek from the rear suspension that is hard to identify. it doesn't make any noise when you jump on the bumper, but when driving around slowly you can hear it every time the suspension compresses. Anyone get any noise from the spring packs? Can these be greased?<br><br>2- I recently noticed a SEVERL off camber tilt of the right front wheel. wheel is tilting inward to the engine. The tire is beginning to wear on the inner shoulder.<br>I didn't think there was any way for this to occur on a straight axle!?!?<br><br>How do you correct that? The guy from my local tire shop tells me to get an offset ball joint, but I don't go wheeling and I'm the only one that drives this truck, so how did it get that way in the first place?<br><br>Other people's comments here are right- awesome motor, crappy truck.<br>
Old 06-18-2003, 11:59 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts
Re:squeeky rear suspension and off camber front wheel?

First, the squeek. Could be a variety of things. Does it sound like something needs oil, i.e. metal to metal, or is it a rubber type squeek?<br>Second, the steering out of line. I would take the truck to a good alignment shop. Yes, even with a straight axle the steering can get out of kilter. Things wear in time and miles and when that happens all sorts of funny, and sometimes expensive things happen to the steering geometry. How many miles since you last had a steering alignment? Get the alignment shop to check the entire steering for wear and then show you the parts they think are worn. If you don't understand what they are telling you insist on a simple English explanation AND a demonstartion on your truck of the worn parts. It should be simple to show you the slop in a worn steering part. Don't be surprised if after certain parts are replaced that you are told that you now need a steering alignment. This would be true and not BS from the shop in most cases.<br>Let us know the final story.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:13 PM

I got negative camber all the time in my front end makes the tires wear quick but looks cool. Ah the joys of a slammed Ram!
Old 06-19-2003, 04:17 AM
Banned

Jamie you don't count. If you want to, just spray silicone over the eniter leaf spring pack and spray it on the bushing for the shocks. Anywhere that you think could cause a squeak. For the tires, have the truck aligned. I don't know if it can happen in our trucks, but a friend of mine's Ford broke the front half shaft or something in his front axle, and his wheel started having a severe camber problem. I doubt that's it though.