HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Spindle Flange-nut Torque

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spindle Flange-nut Torque

???Does anyone know the torque spec's on the front spindle flange nut on the '02? And do you know how to get the bearings out to repack them? Yes it is a flange nut that bottoms out and no,the bearings are not sealed. We called 3 local dealers and none of them knew what we were talking about or didn't care to look it up,don't know which.
186,000 and still rattlin.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:49 AM

Re:Spindle Flange-nut Torque

wildolman, I have a 2001 3500 quad and it would appear that our front end may be slightly fifferent. Just in case though, I have not to long ago done this job on mr rig and this is how it went. I first removed the tire and then the brake caliper assembly( 2 bolts holds it on) Moved the brake caliper assembly back out of the way and removed the spindle nut( not a castle nut and didn't have a cotter pin). The wheel hub assembly and rotor will come off together. Then you need to seperate the hub assembly from the rotor and replace the entire wheel hub assembly. That last part is where ours sounds different. My bearings are of the maintenance free type and supposedly can't be replaced. I did try to press them out with a 20 ton floor jack, but couldn't get them to budge. I must admit that we did not have any replacement parts on hand at the time and were being extra careful to keep me on the road. Didn't want the bearing to come out in pieces that afternoon and be stuck. My father in law and I are looking at my old wheel hub assemblies and a company in Houston that makes bearings by spec to spec. I am hoping to press them out and save on my next go around but this time I ate the cost of new ones. Hope that helps some but again, you truck sounds different than mine. I star torqued mine cause I couldn't find a torque wrench in my price range. I believe the actual torque is 125 or 225 ftlbs. I will check that value when I get home this evening and get back to you. If I were you. I would do a search using the search button at the top of this page. Good luck ;D
Old 10-21-2003, 11:03 AM

Re:Spindle Flange-nut Torque

I think we have the same thing.We got the inner bearing out ,cleaned them as best we could and repacked with a needle and finger power. Will work til I get it right. I do like their bearing pack idea but it's not good if you put on a lot of miles.
As far as the dealers,they just didn't understand how you could have 185,000 on an '02. The mechanic is trying other sources this morn since he wants more work. His first one this style to.
Do thank you for the reply,as it did help.