HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Sparatic Dead peddle

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sparatic Dead peddle

Hello everyone.
I am relatively new to the diesel world but have learned a ton over the passed 4 months from this forum. My problem is this. . .
this has happened twice now. a few days ago in the morning during the first 10-15 minutes of operation (the truck was up to temp) my I experienced what I think is refered to as dead peddle (the power would cut out sparaticly for a few seconds here and there even when I was pressing the peddle) it lasted a few minutes and then was fine the rest of the day and the next couple of days as well. My first reaction was I thought it was the VP44 and kind of hoped it was because my warrenty ends in a couple of months and I only have 67000 miles so I would get it fixed for free. So I checked the codes expecting somthing to show up for the fule injector but only got 1693 and I have had that for a while and the companion code in the truck when I checked it a couple of months ago was "turbo limit exceeded" I determined from research that it was probable the waste gate stuck closed so i don't think that has anything to do with it because I have had that code for a while but corect me if I am wrong. So anyway this morning I was driving on the freeway and the same thing happened again, sparatic dead peddle. I also noticed the fuel economy computer was giving me unrealistic readings at times for example (29-32 mpg when it should be reading 17-19 mpg) this was happening even when it wasn't cutting out. Again after a few minutes the problem seemed to go away.
Any suggestions/comments would be greatly apreciated.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:48 PM

I forgot to mention that my fuel pressure is good (18psi at idel and never droping below 10 psi)

could it be my apps and wouldnt' the apps or the vp44 leave a code?

thanks again
Jared
Old 01-06-2006, 06:39 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the APPS will usually set a code, and no, the VP44 will not always set a code. The 1693 is probably telling you there is another code somewhere. I think most of the time the P0216 will show up with an OBD II scanner.

The APPS reset is free...I would start there first, and then go get the codes read.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:52 AM

When you're overboosting the ecm will defuel, but you should still have a responsive peddle. How much boost were you seeing when you had the problem?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:58 AM

dead pedel

Yes mine always runs on dead pedel. Yes that kind of fuel milage is what I have seen.Once at 11,400 lbs. Talk about gutless.That was the kind of milage I got with my 80 Toyota Celica.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:37 PM

I am not sure what my boost is. I dont' have a gage for that (only fuel pressure)

Jared
Old 01-07-2006, 02:41 PM

dead pedel

My boost never goes above 15 ( 14.5) lbs.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:58 PM

just curious is the p0216 code a hard code?meaning will it reset after so many starts.Say if you had a dead pedal and didn't get to a tester for a day or so would it show up?A friend experianced this and I couldn't get any code with my OBD II Tester.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by JaredOlsen
Hello everyone.
I am relatively new to the diesel world but have learned a ton over the passed 4 months from this forum. My problem is this. . .
this has happened twice now. a few days ago in the morning during the first 10-15 minutes of operation (the truck was up to temp) my I experienced what I think is refered to as dead peddle (the power would cut out sparaticly for a few seconds here and there even when I was pressing the peddle) it lasted a few minutes and then was fine the rest of the day and the next couple of days as well. My first reaction was I thought it was the VP44 and kind of hoped it was because my warrenty ends in a couple of months and I only have 67000 miles so I would get it fixed for free. So I checked the codes expecting somthing to show up for the fule injector but only got 1693 and I have had that for a while and the companion code in the truck when I checked it a couple of months ago was "turbo limit exceeded" I determined from research that it was probable the waste gate stuck closed so i don't think that has anything to do with it because I have had that code for a while but corect me if I am wrong. So anyway this morning I was driving on the freeway and the same thing happened again, sparatic dead peddle. I also noticed the fuel economy computer was giving me unrealistic readings at times for example (29-32 mpg when it should be reading 17-19 mpg) this was happening even when it wasn't cutting out. Again after a few minutes the problem seemed to go away.
Any suggestions/comments would be greatly apreciated.
Jared I hope All is well with You
I have been had dead pedel sndrome for a few weeks, It only will get worse. Wensday I went to the Dodge Dealer with no appt. Check Eng light on. Dealer got truck in service dept within 15 min and checked on computer codes 0216, 1693 Tested fuel pressure no pressure fom lift pump. (I had a temp test gage on pump Great Pressure would work ok, but truck would be cold.)Dealer orderd parts Truck in service dept. at 0730 Friday Dealer had a free rental car for me. Truck was ready at 13:45 Friday. New intank fuel pump new injector pump new fuel filter and cost of $0.00 So dont let your warrenty end get it fixed now.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:04 PM

Charter Bus Driver,

So did your fuel preasure gauge read good preasure? or did it read no preasure? My lift pump seems fine (because it reads 18 psi at idle) could this be inacurate?

is there a way for them to test the VP44 without it throwing a code?

thanks for the help

Jared
Old 01-08-2006, 12:25 AM

Jared last week I changed my fuel filter and my lift pump was reading 17psi at an idle but that was with the truck cold. With more dead pedal incidents I went to Esposti Dodge in Asti CA, 47 miles from the house. (Two 5 Star $tellers within 10 miles) The block was well heated by that time. When the service dept. checked no lift pump pressure. I checked the pressure when I got home on Wednesday 4 psi, On Friday morning 18 psi before I left the house to go to Asti. I have not checked the pressure with the new pump im at the firehose and gage is at home in shop. Paul
Old 01-08-2006, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by redhauler
just curious is the p0216 code a hard code?meaning will it reset after so many starts.Say if you had a dead pedal and didn't get to a tester for a day or so would it show up?A friend experianced this and I couldn't get any code with my OBD II Tester.
Redhauler code p0216 will clear after so many starts if it is not faulting. This had hapened to me in the past. On Wensday the dealer cleared the codes check engine light went back on within 12 miles. Checked code(Turned Key 3 times)Code p0216 Dead VP44
Old 01-08-2006, 05:11 PM

ouch! thank you CharterBusDriver, he's not gonna like that.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:53 AM
srp

[COLOR=Indigo]Hi, I am new and have a question. This problem seems to be what I am experiencing. I have a '98 24 valve 3500 that has 225,000 miles. My husband drives truck and is not home to fix problem and I do not have the financial means to have someone work on truck for me. I use this truck daily going to and from work. Only pull with it once a month. I do not understand all of the codes or psi. Can someone tell me what to tell my husband the problem is and how he can fix it when he does get home? I have been told it could be anything from a "dump valve" to the bellcrank?????? Now after reading here, I am worried it is the pump. ANY help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance. Please don't laugh or make fun of me.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:21 AM
Chapter President

srp,
At minimum, have your fuel pressure checked. With that many miles, it could very well be the FP or the injector pump or dead pedal caused by the APPS (or a lot of other things)

I don't know where you are in Texas, but maybe there is a member near you that can take a look at it for you or your husband.

Quick Reply: Sparatic Dead peddle