HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Serpentine Bush Hog

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 09:00 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
Serpentine Bush Hog

My serpentine shredded some time ago as some of you will remember and it did some really bad things, like shred my CPS wiring and trash my hood woobie. Something else more insidious happened also, I instantly developed an oil leak somewhere around the timing cover. I have steamed but can't see where the heck the black gold is snotting from. It's making a mess of the drive train, creating a tar baby out of everything in its path when I hit my dirt roads!!!

Anyone have a clue what could be damaged here? Could the belt have cracked the timing cover somehow?

Also, can I get a new hood blankie for a ’93?
Thanks!
Mark
Old 05-18-2005, 09:29 PM
RCW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suppose the belt rolled back under the crankshaft pulley, behind the damper, and likely shoved the front crank seal out of alignment. The cover is nothing but a tin housing bolted to the aluminum front timing gear case. I have seen it happen on newer trucks.

If you pull the damper to fix the seal, do it carefully and get one of the bolts out first, take it to a parts store and get a long chunk of threaded metric rod and paint the end and the hole it goes through before you remove the other two bolts. The damper will just fall off the end of the crank, right with the pulley(s), and it is a duplex steel unit with a rubber center that takes a set in a balanced position for that particular engine. So, you want to put it right back in the exact same position as you found it or buy a new damper for big bucks.

When you take the cover off the timing case, take the time to punch the upper dowel pin back in the housing, it will be falling out, and then stake the hole over. Do the same for the lower pin, too. It makes no difference if they can never come out the front ever again, the gearcase comes off over them if need be at rebuild time.

If the stamped steel cover is bent at all from the belt hitting it, get a new one with the new seal kit. But first make sure you have a straight and true sealing surface on the crankshaft end. If not, Cummins sells a special seal for crankshafts with an excess wear groove where the seal rides, and you will need to ask for that instead of the OEM replacement or it will just drool after you reinstall everything. An excessivly worn groove in the crank is one that you can detect at all by sliding your fingernail across it.

Do not use any RTV silicone, just get a new gasket for the new cover, and then grease it before you reinstall. Cummins may try to sell you their silver RTV, OK if you know how to use it. But none is best because any at all on the inside of that cover will be guaranteed to end up in the bypass valve in the oil cooler, and that will give you another nasty job later!

Hood blankets are sold by just about everybody that sells replacement body parts.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:40 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
Thanks much RCW for the reply. I am still trying to visualize the damper alignment heads up, and I am unclear about "stake the hole over".
Thanks again.
This board never fails!
Mark
Old 05-18-2005, 09:46 PM
RCW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you open the timing gear case cover, you will find what are known as the killer dowel pins. The worst is the top one, it is an alignment pin used to center the aluminum case to the engine block. Just drive it back to just below flush with the aluminum, take a center punch and stake the edges of the hole so the pin cannot work back out. Some guys use tabs, some use jigs and hold down bolts, but the drive and punch method of free and lasts forever.