HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Rearend HOWLING dealer say's

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 09:45 AM
abb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rearend HOWLING dealer say's

I have a 03 4 door 1 ton short bed single tire with the ho and 6 speed. at about 1,000 miles the rearend started howling got it to the dealer at 1,800, he said yes I hear it but the truck would run it's life out with no rearend promblems! had him check the oil tec said it only needed a cup of oil.huh,I just spent good money for this and he wants me to listen to this from now on ,the radio has to be loader then I like when I try to hide the noise! hav't made the first note , I'm in east TX the throwout bearing is rattling with the trans in neuteral whee whee. sorry for the long post any help?
Old 08-19-2003, 10:42 AM
Chapter President

Re:Rearend HOWLING dealer say's

The dealer (service manager) may not be much help

If it was my truck I would take it to a independet garage get something in writing about your troubles from them .... then go back to that dealership and start a stink if they dont want to take some action .... there are also area (dodge)reps that settle service problems if the dealer refuses to do anything
Old 08-20-2003, 08:34 AM

OK let me see if I've got this straight. You have purchased a $40,000.00 truck, the diff is making noise, and the release bearing is whining after 1000 miles, and you aren't sure if you can accept living with this for the life of the truck?

Go back to the dealer and tell them that you have NO INTENTION of living with it. If they won't do something, then find another dealer who will. And remember it when you make your next purchase.

Diff work is picky little crap that takes time, time, time, so mechanics aren't generally in love with it. (takes book time plus). AND after it gets fixed listen carefully for whine on acceleration, cruise and coast to be sure it is set up right. If it whines anywhere get it redone. over and over until YOU are satisfied.

Live with it, my butt. Start with being civil, but if required, giving them the equivalent of a small nuclear explosion at a crowded service counter can work quite well too . And a loud expression of dissatisfaction in the crowed new car showroom has been known to get results as well.

DO NOT accept "living with it". Some dealers should be shot and peed on. > >
Old 08-20-2003, 11:37 AM

Take it to another dealer. That guy is feeding you some BS; there should be absolutely no whine from the rear end. I'd bet you that he would NEVER live with it in his vehicle. Rear end issues on the '03's have been discussed here since last November.

As far as your rattling TO bearing, here's TSB 06-001-03 that you should look at.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:13 PM

i'd tell'em to shove it.i worked in a drivetrain shop for acouple years,gears manufacturers warranty sets all the time cause of noise problems,it's not something you have to live with.