HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Rear Brakes Grabbing

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Brakes Grabbing

Here's the problem. I recently did a brake job on the front brakes a couple months ago and afterwords drove halfway across the country pulling my 5er with no problems. The brakes worked without a hitch the whole way. After the trip I drove the truck around for at least a couple thousand miles without a problem.

The problem started after I returned from a trip and the truck has been sitting for about a month. At low speeds the left rear, not sure about the right since I can't see that side with my head hanging out, will try and lock up when I apply the brakes. At about 20 mph or so when I apply the brakes a little hard I can hear and feel the anti-lock clicking trying to keep the brakes from locking up. Its most noticeable at low speeds since when it catches it jerks you forward.

I haven't checked anything, and since about everything else electric has quit at sometime or another on this truck I figured I would check here first. I thought it might be the star wheels being out of adjustment on the rear brakes or maybe a electrical gadget that had failed in a lot of other members trucks.

Also, what are the steps in manually adjusting the rear brakes so I will know if they are loose or tight?

Thanks for the info..
Old 11-07-2003, 06:47 AM

Re:Rear Brakes Grabbing

Adjustment will not likely cause the brakes to grab. Your shoes are likely contaminated with grease from a grease seal or brake fluid from a wheel cylinder.
Start by checking the master cylinder level.
george
Old 11-07-2003, 07:29 AM

I would agree with Smokey, contamination on the linings, you likely have a wheel seal leaking and the oil is on the lining surface causing the "grabbing".

Brian
Old 11-07-2003, 08:00 AM

Something else that comes to mind is contamination of the brake fluid. Years ago when I was a mechanic in Ohio a guy came in with a Int'l Scout that only had one wheel that the brakes worked after sitting three days. Turned out to be moisture contaminated the fluid and three wheel cylinders froze up. I hope that isn't your problem. You may want to pull a front wheel and try to move the caliper or have somebody step on the pedal to see if the caliper moves. Good luckand keep us informed.
Tom
Old 11-07-2003, 03:42 PM

Well I checked the brake fluid level and it was right where it was the last time I checked it a few months ago, so I don't think any has leaked onto the pads back there. At speeds above 10 mph I really can't notice the grabbing, its just at low speeds. I am starting to think that maybe the auto adjusters might be acting up.
Does anyone here know how to go about setting those?

Thanks for the information so far.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:53 PM

BobShoe,
Along the same line as MnTom, there are products to test the “age” of your brake fluid one I’m thinking of is:
http://www.brakebleeder.com/products.asp?id=2
hope it helps
Old 11-07-2003, 08:11 PM

Bobshoe, if there is contamination it is likely a bad wheel seal, since you've ruled out leaking brake fluid. Crawl under the truck and look for some gear oil leakage around the wheel.

Brian
Old 11-08-2003, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like possible gear oil contamination from a weeping axle seal, it dosent take much, In my exp in the mornings or when its cold out it will be the worst when you just start out. After the brakes heat up a little the oil thins out and they wont grab. My 93 for some reason had a problem with the drivers side adjuster not working or getting loose. Just jack the rear up and crawl under, at the bottom of the brake backing plate there is a 1" long or so ,1/4" wide rubber plug, remove this and you will see the star wheel in there. It will only turn one way eaisly, it will click as it does. rotate the tire your working on and tighten until you hear a very light dragging of the brake pads, Very light , it will probably sound like you have dirt grinding in there, thats normal, just brake dust etc. Do both sides the same. If you remember which way you turned the previous side,UP or DOWN, the other side will be the opposite. You might be surprised how much better they work after, good luck.
Apache
Old 11-08-2003, 10:03 AM

what they said ;D