HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

rear axel siezed up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear axel siezed up!!!

went thru some deep water 2 days ago and its been sitting till tonight and i start it up to go to the hockey game (vancouver 5 chicago 3) and the thing won't move. Crawl under and e-brake cables have movement and when I start it again seems it wants to go but feels like one the brakes is siezed, pounded on them abit but nothing... My rear end is full floating so can I just pull the axels out and engage the drivetrain to see if it is the brakes or do I raise one wheel at a time pull the axel and give it a spin to see which one it is. If it is a siezed brake what do I do next? Also I back into my parking space in my driveway so could that have adjusted my "slack adjuster" to tight. Sorry I don't know the proper name for them?
Old 11-21-2002, 02:04 AM
Jrr

Re:rear axel siezed up!!!

Sounds like the old frozen lining syndrome. Watch out for your wheel cylinders and brake lines and use propane torch to heat backing plate and brake drums to melt ice. Do not heat to glowing red or blue. Good Luck
Old 11-21-2002, 11:32 AM
RCW

I do not know if you are freezing at night where you live, but if you get your parking brake cables wet and then apply them when you park, they will lock solid. A heat gun along the cables is the best solution to get them to release, then do not lock them when you park.<br><br>If you have run your truck in water that is higher than the axle bearings, you may have pulled water into the differential. These diffs have a spring loaded vent that lets air out, but not back in. So if the diff is warm and you hit cold water at a level higher than the rear axle seals, the diff cools rapidly and will then suck water right in the seals. <br><br>The fix is to put a fitting and a run of fuel hose on the vent hole and a non-spring loaded vent on the end of the hose to get it up above the high fender line, so it will breathe and not pull in water. I use a small engine fuel filter instead of a vent, and mount it on top of the fuel tank with a plastic tie.<br><br>The automatic brake slack adjusters will not cause the brakes to lock. They have a travel limiter and will not get too tight.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:45 PM

thanx for the replys. Pulled the two rear axels jacked them up, gave them a spin and right rear wouldn't move. pulled the wheels off, banged on the drum and voila it came loose. The shoe was stuck to the drum. Does anyone know why?
Old 11-22-2002, 12:11 AM

Yomitch, a few years ago had a ferd. Every so often the rt rear brake would sieze up. I took it off numerous times and every time found lots of rust on the the backing plate and linings, also inside the drum. Never could figure out why. Because of the rust problem it would not release at times coming to a stop. lkWhen the go pedal was pushed it would sit as if brakes were applied then suddenly brake loose with a pop. Finally traded that confounded Ferd in on a Jeep.<br><br>Moisture + iron + oxygen equals rust. <br><br>