HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

problem with my ford ranger

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problem with my ford ranger

ok first off i know this is a cummins forum site but i tried on the ranger site and no responses so i thought i would ask here a truck is a truck so i thought maybe u all could maybe help so here goes.
i have a problem with my front end when i turn at slow speeds i get a grabbing sound and pull on my steering wheel like four wheel drive is in but it isnt now the serious problem at higher speeds like going on and off a off ramp which i do for work every day i get extreme shake and shimmy imean extreme like wanting to rip the streering wheel out of my hands and the gear shifter moves back and forth vialontly. it does it turning left more than turning right but is starting to do it in both ways consistantlly now. usually stops when straighting out or letting off the throattle and slowing down to like 10 miles per hour but the other day stayed doing it going straight right when i was almost onthe interstate jerked the wheel alittle bit and it stopped also i have about 1/2 play in my sterrering wheel now so i am thinking something is serioulsly screwed iin my steering system. just dreading takeing it to get fixed and seeing the bill lol i know i know it is a saftey issue but so is not having the funds to fix it hopefully i will get it to a shop at the end of the week as i will have a nother vehcicle to drive for 2 weeks. just wandering if any of ya all had any suggestions or thoughts.
plans fix it sell it and by me my dodge cummins lol

oh yeah it is a 2004 ford ranger fx4 with a 4.0 6 cylinder 5 speed bone stock
Old 06-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Sounds like a bad cv joint on the front axle.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second the bad Universal.

Rick
Old 06-04-2006, 11:40 AM

Do you hear a clicking sound when turning sharply at slow speeds? This is another indicator of a bad CV joint as the others have said.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:46 AM

My 88 ranger had a similar problem and yes sounds like the front axle u joints are gone. Crappy thing is they are expensive and a pain to fix.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:10 PM

thanks for the imput all i will price the cv joints and see how bad it actually is to change them. oh yeah sorry about the spelling errors on the origanel post and this post lol spelling isnt my strong suit. anyways again thanks for suggestions on the cv joint. also would that cause theplay in the steering wheel?
Old 06-04-2006, 01:50 PM

Depending on how long you were driving like this, if it is indeed the universals, check the frame horns where the steering box bolts for cracks. A stiff u-joint could put enough pressure on the frame to crack it. On my old power wagon it did anyhow.