HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Probable IP pile up? Or what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Probable IP pile up? Or what?

OK..... Everything is good, just drove 1800miles no problem on HWY.

Stop on way home to pick wife up, have supper. Truck no start.

Fuel pressure on guage goes to 15psi when bumping starter. Crank and crank and crank then it started. Fuel pressure still normal. (Pressure is checked at VP inlet, after filter) Drive home about 10min, turn off and now it wont start at all.

Wait overnight, it fires right up. Started and stopped it 4 or five times, now wont start again (let it warm up a little each time.) Shows code 1693 only.

When it ran I would turn it off, and watch the FP it would drop quick to 10, then slow, maybe 7-10 second to get to 0psi. Crank, nothing but fuel pressure still 15psi when bumping.

Opinions?

Oh yeah this is a 01 2500 manual ETC with edge EZ on it and stock otherwise.

182000 KM

About a month back, i remember going down the HWY and stepping on it at about 1600rpm in 5th and it kinda hiccuped, it did that about 10 -15 times total....then it seemed to be ok.....At one time I thought the EZ want working properly as it seemed a little down on power, and it would sorta intermittantly pickup.....Then other than the intermitant power loss/gain, it worked ok.... Got 27mpg on the trip, never going more than 65MPH.

Opinions? Have a line on a new VP44, and would put it in myself except worried that i would waste the $$ if it isnt..... and the fact i cant start it again.

Brad
Old 05-13-2007, 05:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a hesitant start on mine when it is hot. What I noticed, I would crank it and it would almost fire, I turn the key to "run" but it won't quite fire. By then, the LP is running and with Walbro, the pressure is at 15 psi solid. If I crank at this time, it takes some time to start. If I wait long enough for the FP to drop (~30 s), it will fire up well. Maybe something similar on yours?
-P
Old 05-13-2007, 05:54 PM

Brad,

Any white smoke? Lots of white smoke and hard starts when warm are classic signs of VP-44 failure.

You should probably get it scanned to see what the other code(s) is.

Good Luck.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:36 PM

When it won't start, it won't start, it seems waiting for pressure to subside or build from the lp doesnt make a difference, never noticed any white smoke. Took it into the specialty diesel place today, will see i guess. Gonna stick in some new injectors at same time, somewhere around 100 horse.... Stock clutch wellll we shall see....Will let you all know the prognosis.

Brad
Old 05-13-2007, 11:07 PM

Um, might want to figure this out before injectors....

Also, might want to consider a fuel system upgrade if you dont already have one.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:13 PM

Oh yeah.... AFTER the prob is sorted out new injectors, and either a walbro kit or a fass.......

I took it to Deisel tech..... I see your from Edmonton, who do you deal with??
Old 05-14-2007, 12:01 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
read some of this , it may be your problem
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ressure+return
Old 05-14-2007, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bradtothebone
I took it to Deisel tech..... I see your from Edmonton, who do you deal with??

I deal with ME.....

Diesel Tech? I just moved back here after being away for 5 years - so Im unfamiliar with these guys. I just know about NADP and GCL Diesel....

I still think its a good idea to scan it with a code reader before you take it in.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:13 AM

IP was dead.....Water in fuel

IP indeed was gone got one for 1500......put in a set of jammer 2s at the same time,turbo gauge (my previous one only went to 30, i put a 60psi one in now), fass system also......Fella said hed never seen that much water in a fuel tank.....

Heres the issue, I got my fuel at the SOUTHSIDE PETROPASS in edmonton ab, and my buddy got his fuel a day before that, his 05 cratered and the dealership said the tank had a ridiculous amount of water in it .....Great.

(we work sorta together)

Anyways, Now I probably will end up needing a clutch also...

Last edited by Bradtothebone; 05-19-2007 at 11:15 AM. Reason: why not?
Old 05-19-2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bradtothebone
IP indeed was gone got one for 1500......put in a set of jammer 2s at the same time,turbo gauge (my previous one only went to 30, i put a 60psi one in now), fass system also......Fella said hed never seen that much water in a fuel tank.....

Heres the issue, I got my fuel at the SOUTHSIDE PETROPASS in edmonton ab, and my buddy got his fuel a day before that, his 05 cratered and the dealership said the tank had a ridiculous amount of water in it .....Great.

(we work sorta together)

Anyways, Now I probably will end up needing a clutch also...

Good to hear that you got it going.....

You should be getting PetroCan to pay your repair bill....I hope the water was saved...