HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Power Steering/Brakes (vacumn prob)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering/Brakes (vacumn prob)

My truck, a 2001 Dodge 2500 w/cumminsHO, is making a sound like the one when you turn your steering wheel to far, but louder. It does it with steering or brake inputs which makes me believe it is a vacumn problem. I have done some investigation and noticed that there are three lines that go between the master cylinder and power steering. Are these the vacumn lines? Any help would be appreciated.

AWAC
Old 12-12-2005, 02:57 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
These are hydraulic lines to the brake booster. No vacuum in the PS or brake booster on your truck.
If the noise started when it got cold chances are good that you need to change PS fluid to some good synthetic PS fluid. Take care to use an approved fluid because you do not want to have troubles with your brakes.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 12-13-2005, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just recently fixed my power steering problem.
The symptoms were as follows:
Loud noise when hard left turning(u-turn)(two times)
Loss of steering to the left(2 days later)
Loss of steering to the left and right(1 day after loss of steering to left)
Loss of steering on both sides and the brakes being hard then soft causing 2 brke hrd

I also had that noise, which i was told is the vaccuum booster pump doing what it is suppose to do, save your tail in case the system is being purged of the pressure to activate your brakes/steering.
Luckily for me, it was only the steering gear box. I guess it blew the shaft seal or an internal seal, therefore failure of my power steering capabilities, which is when i heard the noise(like air being released and then being pumped up again). We checked the p/s pump, but found that it was okay. We checked the vaccum line, this was okay. We then replaced the gear box. This seem to be the solution to my pwr steering problem. Hope this helps you