HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Please Help, Stalling problem severe

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help, Stalling problem severe

Hello,
I will start off with introducing myself. My name is Dave and I live in Derry, NH. Married with 2 kids. I am employed as a Paramedic and LEO.

If anyone could help I would be very grateful. I have a 97 Dodge 2500 with the diesel. She has just about 100K and thank god this is my only problrm so far. After towing or when she gets warm she stalls. And keeps stalling. Especially when I go into reverse or make a hard turn. When the AC is on she stalls. Its getting worse and even my mechanic has no idea of what it is. I can't find an idle screw maybe that could be it???? Please help....

Thank you very much for your time and knowledge

Dave
Old 06-08-2005, 08:08 PM
db

Welcome Dave from Derry!

I also have a 97' (with a diesel ) When my idle went below 650 rpms it would also stall out. The p-pump ( injector pump) is mechanical and therefore loosens over time and needs to be adjusted up every so often.
700 - 800 rpm is where it should be depending on which transmission you have.
The adjustment is on the rear side of the pump and I think it needs two #10 metric open end wrenches to loosen easily. It's not like a carb at all so it's no wonder that a even a good car mechanic not familier with the diesel injector pumps would find the idle adjustment.

Learn how to use the "search" It will be your best source for solving almost all your truck issues!

Get back , or use your search feature, if you need more specifics.

db
Old 06-08-2005, 10:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/adjustm...d_Gen-Idle.htm

If you haven't done your KDP (Killer Dowel Pin), you really should. When I bought my 96 I did it, and found that it was a good thing because it had come out of the hole about 1/8". If yo uneed more info, search on KDP, or check this out:
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/Dowel_Pin/tab.htm
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/Dowel_Pin/bolt.htm

Chris
Old 06-09-2005, 06:15 AM

Thanks!

As soon as the rain stops I am going to give the idle an adjustment. THANK YOU! Other than doing basic off roading repairs to my Jeeps I know nothing about mechanics. I can fix people but as for the Dodge....well we will see. Thanks again. By the way...awesome site! I will b sure to donate.

Dave