HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Please Help! My Truck is trying to kill me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help! My Truck is trying to kill me!!!

Hi everyone,

I would like start by saying what a wonderful site you have. It has been a wealth of infromation. I am a long time viewer, first time poster. I have a 2000 Ram 3500 CTD 4X4.

My problem started shortly after I replaced the front wheel bearing assembly, the bearing assembly came with new studs already pressed into them. Since the studs in the front wheel spacer were looking a little tired and rusty, I went ahead and pressed in new ones (careful to make sure they were the same grade and size as the old ones). Everything went back together great. After about 200 km, I went around and retorqued the front wheel nuts with a torque wrench. They were just as I left them at 140 ft-lbs.

A few weeks later, I looked down at the left front wheel and to my horror there was a wheel nut missing. The stud had completely sheered off. I went back to the parts supplier and exchanged it for a new one. I disassembled everything and pressed in the new one. About 200 km later, I retorqued it to 140 ft-lbs.

A couple of weeks later, another stud broke on the left front wheel directly across from the one I had just replaced. I replaced it again and it has happened three times since, to different studs on the same wheel.

Just today, I rechecked the Torque on the right front wheel only to have a stud break in my hands under minimal pressure.

Please help,

Red Rock Rancher
Old 07-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Banned

i had a similar issue with my 97 chevy. at one time i was 8 lugs short on the front 2 tires. my problems was that i played with the torsion axle and got it day outta alignment. maybe you should take yours to an alignment shop just for grins and see if everything is still true

brett
Old 07-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Rancher, FIND ANOTHER STUD SUPPLIER, or better yet, swallow real hard and buy them at the dealership if you are paranoid.

There is a real problem with substandard fasteners, and it looks like you got yourself a batch. Trust me, you can torque a substandard bolt to the proper torque without it breaking or feeling spongy, only to find it snap off a week later spontaneously! I won't bore you with the details, but they were either not rolled right, or not properly heat treated, allowing either inclusions, or Hydrogen to be introduced.

I went through this several years back with a major aftermarket fastener supplier, and have to deal with it from time to time at my work.........

The chances of all 8 failing at once would be small, but I wouldn't want to take a chance with the same brand you currently have in there.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Banned

may also want to check the torque wrench your using against another one.