HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

piston slap/noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
piston slap/noise

would you discribe the early sighns of one shold you have experianced such a nasty failure. ??? :'(The reason for the question is thats what I think might be going on down deep inside my isb eng.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:34 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Re:piston slap/noise

In an earlier thread I think you said that the engine was performing normally and pulling just fine. If a piston fails there could be zero signs or there could be prior warning. Normally it would start with a slight ticking or maybe a tapping. But those sounds could also indicate other mechanical problems so that can be misleading.<br>First thing I would do is get an oil analysis done. Then maybe a compression test. You could also pull the oil filter and tear it apart and see if there is any signs of metal etc inside.<br>What made you suspect a piston failure as opposed to some other mechanical problem? What sounds/syptoms are you having?
Old 07-14-2003, 10:55 AM
Banned

reason;noise with vibration on deacceleration, the sound is most hard to discribe,but sounds juust like a jake on my semi truck only very muffled. Itisone cylnder related,in other words @1700 rpm you can almost cont the fromps or thumps.You would not notice it if you were not used to dis. eng. It just grows on you. It has been isolated to the eng.-it can be made by just giving it a quick rev, clutch in or out. I have to suspect everthing seince I do not know what it is. the noise would more indicate an exhaust vale open or burnt it runs to darn good. thanx for lookin.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:22 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

From that reply I would go back to what I said earlier. Pull the oil filter apart, get an oil analysis and a compression test. Then go from there. When last did you have the valves adjusted? A long shot, but maybe this could just be a tight valve. What does it sound like if you go down a hill at 1700 rpm and then shut the ignition off for a couple of seconds with it still in gear? Does the noise change?
Old 07-14-2003, 11:40 AM
Banned

Adj valves, replaced everthing in side bell housing, replaced injectors, replaced vibration dampner, and lift pump just for fun. none of this has addresed the problem. It could be a bent valve I supose (not stick @low rpm). the noise is same frequincy as a miss like a miss on power stroke not (talking about a ford)with out the loss of power.
CHECK OUT THE NEWEST POST [SCARY]
Old 02-12-2004, 03:24 PM

Found this in the TDR web site:
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...threadid=81370

my '03 H.O. had the tick at idle since new. it sounded fine at higher rpm's but always came back at idle. I found a cure and it's not pretty. Turns out that the H.O. has a notch in the bottom of the piston on one side to allow clearance for the oil cooling nozzle jet. if a piston is installed with the notch on the wrong side, the piston will lightly tap the oil nozzle on the down stroke and make the tapping noise. This was the case with mine on #5 cylinder. chryslers fix was to replace the short block @ 10,000 mi.. there was no damage to the original block that I could see. after 18 days in the shop the truck is back together and I have put 1,100 miles on the new engine and it runs the way it was designed to.

My 04 has the same tick after starting but seems to go away after warming up. It has been to cold for me to really check thou.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Banned

thanks for the reserch........turns out 4 high quality PLASTIC piston oil squrirters jumped out of thir home (real common I find out) causing all sorts of problems.......you can follow my thread... O.H. the eng. and put in steel jets instead of the plastic crap!
Old 02-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe you have a bad valve spring?? That might cause you the same symptoms and is low frequency as well.

Piston slap in small engines is hard to detect as the amplitude of the impacts tend to be quite small. Unless the bores in the engine are terribly tapered or the wrong sized piston was installed, I would discount piston slap..

J-eh
Old 02-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Banned

it was the coolers........when they jump out it leaves a big hole(s) in the bottom end...........no oil P.!!! YIPES Like I said thanx for the reserch but I found the problem in the last place I looked
Soooooooooooo the moral ofthe story when in doubt pull the pan and have a looksy
Old 02-12-2004, 11:27 PM

How difficult was it to pull the pan anyhow? I guess you stuck some new squirters on there... and with out any real damage? If so Id say you were pretty lucky .
Scott
Old 02-14-2004, 10:56 AM

Yes, I would like to know how you discovered the problem. Did you need to pull the engine to replace the squirters? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks, Kevin
Old 02-15-2004, 11:05 AM
Banned

To ans. all the above- when I pulled the pan off and found the squirters thats how they were found .The noise was the nu.7 main bng. wobbling around (wiped out no oil P.)
The pan comes off quite ezly to check this.
The bad news like my sig. sort of pts out a complete O.H. was done cause the crank had to come out,and once you start measureing stuff....where to stop seince its all in your lap now!
You-s- can check my thread history and find pics and stuff.
The real bad news is /was Dodge Boys and Cummins were not proud enough of thir eng. to warentee it (110,000 on it) the fact remains this problem had occured b4 tho 100,000 mark....when some loooooose sum I guess