HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Nv4500 Shifter Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nv4500 Shifter Rattle

New to your site

just changed my clutch on my 2001 and now have a rattle in my shifter any ideas on what this might be or anyone have a similar noise?

thanks
Jim
Old 03-01-2005, 09:12 PM
RCW

If you have a four wheel drive, check the linkage on the transfer case. If you have a two wheel drive, go back in and replace the pilot bearing on the end of the crankshaft, into which the transmission input shaft plugs. The pilot bearing should be changed each and every time the clutch is serviced. Also, do not use an OEM pilot bearing, get one from a reputable place like SouthBend.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it below the floor or above?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the feedback,

I did change the pilot bearing I did have a little wear on the input, but the noise comes from the shifter and if you hold the shifter to one side you can make the noise go away it is in all gears mostly during accelaration cursing no noise

is there somesort of bushing on the shifter that may have fallen off? as this was the only part of thetrans taken apart and there was no noise previously (until piolet bearing went out)

I already installed a stock bearing on although I did not mention this is a gas truck 360
I figured I would pick your brains as alot of you are running sticks 4500 so better experience with these

thanks again,

Jim
Old 03-03-2005, 08:51 AM

I had a rattle in my shifter when I first bought my truck. It turned out to be the nut that holds the **** on the shaft. You probably didn't take that apart, but when you pulled the shifter out, it may have been on it's last thread and fell off. You can remove the button on top of the **** that shows the gear pattern and check it out. Hope it's that easy, and you don't have to remove the tranny again.

Darrin
Old 03-03-2005, 08:59 AM

the noise is in the lower part of the shifter

is there any kinda of nylon bushing on the ball that engages the shift rails?
as mine did not have one just wondering if I may have lost it during removing the shifter

If I place my hand ont he shifter the noise goes away.

I will check my **** but i believe it screws on and I don't have the luck of it being something that easy

thanks
again
Jim
Old 03-04-2005, 06:50 PM

Well,

thanks for all the feed back I would have never found or believed it, but it was the shifter *** took it off while driving home this evening and rattled lite a baby's rattle. tightened it on and presto noise gone.

thanks again,
Jim
Old 03-04-2005, 09:04 PM

Glad to hear your problem is solved, and that it was that easy. My **** threads on, and then it has a jam nut. Is this the way that your is?

I would tighten my ****, but the noise would come back again. I finally pryed the shift pattern button off and found the jam nut.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:52 AM

yeah that was the the issue wouldn't have believed it
glad it was something easy for a change nothing like working in the cold outside let alone thinking of having to do it again

thanks again
Jim