HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Now What do I do, Leak found

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now What do I do, Leak found

I have a 97 4X4 Dodge Cummins 12 valve 2500 . 65,000 miles
I looked under it today and noticed a leak, thought it was fuel but to my dismay looks like brake fluid leaking from severely rusted lines that run off the ABS . Looks like 3 or 4 lines. I am not sure where they run to.

Questions
Am I in danger of loosing my brakes, fluid still up but obviously leaking. I haul routinely
Will these lines just let go
Is this common anyone else have this issue (I will do search)
Expensive repair, DIYer or dealer
Parts available
Help
Old 06-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Banned

Yes, you are in danger of losing your brakes! If they are leaking then the presure in the system is being lost and that is extremely dangerous. Get them replaced ASAP! Call your local auto parts store first and get the numbers before calling the dealer. It's a fairly simple task as long as you have a speed bleeder and the time.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:20 PM

My local dealer told me that can't get the parts and to use aftermarket hoses or tubes that can be bent to fit, sound logical?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:29 PM

I had to do what your doing to my Chevy. Mine went as I was pulling up to haul a large tractor across town. The man upstairs was watching over me. I took off all the old lines and brought them to the parts store, matched them up and bought a inexpensive bender. No problems in the last 4 years.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:07 PM

can't find anyone to help me out around here. Any online sources that could help with the parts
I am stressing , have to haul very soon and I am a bit concerned, I guess I could just keep the fluid topped off and hope.....

Will my electric trailer brakes work if one of these blows?
will I loose all brake?
Help
Old 06-01-2005, 10:50 PM

just go to local shop and by hose and bender or local shop are able to help you with that just need a bender,probly a fraring tool and your tumb if no local shop cant help MOVE cause mech were u live stink I WOULDNT PULL ANYTHING WITH FAULTY BRAKES and dont worry its not gona cost you an harm and a leg to fix it

electric brake wont let go even if truck brake let go if you have to pull anyway put more brake on your trailer so you dont stress that truck too much and no your brakes wont let go all at once if brake line fail and you lose all pressure youll still have a bit on you front brakes BUT BE CAREFULL 1way or the other that trailer is gona brake unless fuse blows or trailer plug comes off if that all happens at same time PARK IT CALL A CAB LOL

for exemple if your trailer brake box is set to 1/2 set it to 3/4 for this trip

THE BEST THING IS TO FIX IT

napa store or watever as those brake lines probly in stock those lines are usualy universal things bender costs about 15$flare tool aroun 25 but hole thing should cost you under 200 to get dun at local shop
GOOD LUCK
Old 06-02-2005, 07:31 AM

Any general repair shop will be able to fix the lines. Easy job, but unless you know what you are doing, dangerous to play with. Brakes are not a good place to start learning mechanical skills!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did this repair myself-easy to do, BUT order the lines from Chrysler-they are spaghetti-I have benders and flaring tools and elected to buy the lines. Just a note-the lines from the master cylinder and the ones coming out of the ABS unit on my 98 were NOT the standard double flare-I guess they are some metric flare thing???? All five lines on mine were just under 100 bucks. My wife helped me bleed them, not problems.

Like the others have said-THAT TRUCK IS NOT SAFE TO DRIVE!!!
Old 06-02-2005, 08:00 AM

Thanks everyone, and I have parked it to be fixed. Finnaly found a reputable mechanic that specializes in Dodge Diesels and is going to start to work on it this afternoon.
Thanks for saving me from a potentially dangerous situation.
With respect
Ron