HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

no start after fuel filter change

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Ian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no start after fuel filter change

so i go to change my fuel filter, take off the cap, and there's no filter there So i clean the housing, put the new filter in and turn the ignition to "run" so the LP fills up the filter housing and the lines a bunch of times. first time i fire it up it runs fine for a second, then stalls out when I rev it. turn ignition to "run" a bunch more times, no noise from the LP...then I try to start it, and all it does is turn over, it doesn't start up. after I let it turn over for a bit, i turn it off, and the LP is making noise again, but not when I turn the ignition to "run".
Took off the filter housing cap to see if there's any fuel in the filter housing, and its full...why won't my truck start??
Old 10-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you try to bump the starter? Bumping the starter will make the pump run for about 30 sec. After that, if it doesn't start. Crank the motor for 15 sec at a time until all the air is out of the lines. Should fire.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:16 PM

NO fuel filter??? Thats NOT good at all. Any idea how long its ran without a fuel filter??

Ian, its important that you fill the filter canister with fresh diesel before you put the lid on. Then Bump the starter (engage it but not start the truck) a couple of times like MikeD said. The lift pump should run for 20 seconds or so each time. With this method, Ive never had any trouble starting mne after a filter change.

I hate to say this but just because you can hear the lp running doesnt mean that its pumping enough fuel.

Try what i suggested above and if that doesnt work it 'may" be time for a new LP.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Ian

Thanks for the tips guys, I got it started after bumping it a bunch of times. Next time I'll have to have a little bit of diesel handy.
Ya, about the filter, I bought it at 205k, and its got just over 217k now, so who knows how long its been running without one There was quite a bit of sediment on the bottom of the housing, so i cleaned that up. hopefully there isn't any damage...
Old 10-05-2005, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ian
I got it started after bumping it a bunch of times. Next time I'll have to have a little bit of diesel handy.
Ok...good.

I always carry a new fuel filter, small Jerry can and a gatorade bottle (the kind with the squirt spout) just in case I ever have to change the filter on the roadside.

Check your codes.....just in case you have IP codes thrown.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Ian

The only code is the 1693 code that won't go away. Squirt bottle...good idea. Cheers till the next emergency lol