HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

no power brakes no power steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by WHITEY
Anyone else ever ran into this? Should I go ahead and put the new p/s pump in prior to re-assembly (it appears to be fine and in working order) but I don't want to go thru all of this again and find out it was due to another problem. Maybe a bad tang coupler from the start or what? The p/s pump looks new. Being from the electric motor business it just appears awfully strange to shear tangs when no apparent stress is evident on the assembly. Is this correct or does the p/s pump have times to where it incurrs an exessive amount of force at 70 degrees F ambient temp.?
something caused the tangs to shear. what ever caused it most likely will happen again. i would pull the pump resivoir off and inspect the pumps vanes and rotor. you might see some nicks where a piece of foreign debris or casting went through the pump and caused it to jamb.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was my exact thinking however the tangs being sheared are on the power steering pump side of the vac pump which means the p/s pump had to lock up to cause this. FYI WABCO is the mfg of the vacuum pump which is owned by American Standard (a very large toilet mfg) which leads me to classify their vac pump as a P.O.S.

ps my truck is still down I am just trying to make light of a nasty problem.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by WHITEY
This was my exact thinking however the tangs being sheared are on the power steering pump side of the vac pump which means the p/s pump had to lock up to cause this. FYI WABCO is the mfg of the vacuum pump which is owned by American Standard (a very large toilet mfg) which leads me to classify their vac pump as a P.O.S.

ps my truck is still down I am just trying to make light of a nasty problem.
ha ha the POS took a while to get to me. just to clarify that i mean take the steering pump apart and inspect it. its not hard to work on and you can leave the pully on to inspect the rotor and vane area.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:31 PM

Just ordered a pump from NAPA/ Genuine Parts for $413.00 with a $38.00 core. For anyone with these issues: The 1st dealership quoted me $1820 for a reman. then said he could cut it down to $1400. The 2nd dealership screwed up and quoted me "their cost" of $1100 both with $100 core. It is really disturbing to know that someone will take my core and replace a $5 coupling and resell it for up to $1820. Cummins states that it is a Dodge part which explains all of the warranty issues. Anyone wanna buy a truck with a new vac and steering pump?? I know it seems nuts to sell it but I did not buy the truck to have to go through this after only 45k miles.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:57 PM

new vac pump and new p/s pump is in so far so good. did not want to take the chance of doing it again with the old p/s pump so i went ahead with the new one. total cost wound up under $500. alot better than the $2000+ from a dealer. Whitey is back .