HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

no power @ overdrive button & no o/d-need help quick!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no power @ overdrive button & no o/d-need help quick!!!!!!!!

i have a '96 2500 2-wheel dr. ctd. The otherday i stopped by the house for a minute left my truck running and when i got back on the highway i had no O/D. my light has been off or out in the dash button for about 6 months but no problems until the last couple of weeks,once in a while it acted like it did'nt want to shift to o/d but only a couple of times(and that could have just been my imagination).anyway we replaced the o/d dash switch and the TPS, no darn differance. this truck helps me make my living please help!
Old 09-07-2003, 01:08 PM

Re:no power @ overdrive button & no o/d-need help quick!!!!!!!!

Could be lots of things, I guess. check the wiring on the tranny temp control
Old 09-07-2003, 08:04 PM

could my problem be the o/d solenoid? i think this because if i push the button i can feel the trans trying to do something and i can also watch my tach and see it move about 100-200 rpms when i push the button like it's trying to go into o/d. i'm still stumped as to why out of 3 o/d switches (on the dash), 1 being brand new from the dealership, i still have no orange light on the button, but i can feel it trying to go into o/d.
thanks

Old 09-08-2003, 03:44 PM

I am trying to suggest things not in the tranny...simple first. Check the filaments in the brake lights...does cruise work ok?

However, I am afraid that something is wrong with the wiring or the in the 'puter. If it is NOT going into OD, the light should come on.

I once had isses with the wiring in the little alcove behind the steering column down low in the engine side of the firewall. I cleaned up those wires and things started to work correctly.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

crazyhorse,
Did you try the Search feature? I did and came up with a few posts:

1 Dodge Truck / Engines and Drivetrain / 24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain / Re:1999 Bad Tranny ??? on: August 16, 2003 09:02:34 PM
Started by jjsj38, Message by jjsj38
Re:Transmission won't lock up in overdrive
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2003 03:57:22 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is from another post where someone had this problem. I swiped the text of that post and saved it. Maybe it will be the solution to your problem also.

Dodge Converter Lockup Problem
Solution:
2weeks ago I'm going ice fishing and the tc locks up like normal-then suddenly unlocks-then locks,then unlocks-never had a problem with truck B4 but now it won't stay locked.Otherwise shifts perfect;so I start reading and asking questions-dealers,mitchells,internet,etc.My best bets are:APPS,solenoids,computer,wiring,possibly governor pressure,but then find an article in GEARS magazine about 47re trannys which mentions(barely)the TRANSMISSION RELAY!!-It's in the fuse box-I switched it with the relay marked fog lights-BINGO-PROBLEM SOLVED

2 Dodge Truck / Engines and Drivetrain / 24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain / Re:1999 Bad Tranny ??? on: August 16, 2003 09:00:47 PM
Started by jjsj38, Message by jjsj38
Well, it started locking and unlocking again on a 50 mile trip with the air on. I read on another thread to swap the transmission relay with the fog lights relay to see what happens. I'll copy the post and put it on here.

3 Quick help for truck problems / HELP! / Re:Transmission won't lock up in overdrive on: August 16, 2003 09:57:22 AM
Started by jjsj38, Message by Stamey
This is from another post where someone had this problem. I swiped the text of that post and saved it. Maybe it will be the solution to your problem also.

Dodge Converter Lockup Problem
Solution:
2weeks ago I'm going ice fishing and the tc locks up like normal-then suddenly unlocks-then locks,then unlocks-never had a problem with truck B4 but now it won't stay locked.Otherwise shifts perfect;so I start reading and asking questions-dealers,mitchells,internet,etc.My best bets are:APPS,solenoids,computer,wiring,possibly governor pressure,but then find an article in GEARS magazine about 47re trannys which mentions(barely)the TRANSMISSION RELAY!!-It's in the fuse box-I switched it with the relay marked fog lights-BINGO-PROBLEM SOLVED

Chris

4 Dodge Truck / Engines and Drivetrain / 24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain / '99 TCC LOCKUP PROBLEM on: January 7, 2003 10:09:47 AM
Started by slayerfish, Message by slayerfish
Great website-I've learned alot about my CTD. Maybe I can give some back. 2weeks ago I'm going ice fishing and the tc locks up like normal-then suddenlyunlocks-then locks,then unlocks-never had a problem with truck B4 but now it won't stay locked.Otherwise shifts perfect;so I start reading and asking questions-dealers,mitchells,internet,etc.My best bets are:APPS,solenoids,computer,wiring,possibly governor pressure,but then find an article in GEARS magazine about 47re trannys which mentions(barely)the TRANSMISSION RELAY!!-It's in the fuse box-I switched it with the relay marked fog lights-BINGO-PROBLEM SOLVED-Can't imagine what would have happened if I took it somewhere!!! Again I'd like to say this is a GREAT site. Also I was wondering if anybody knows about the quad high beam thing ?

End of results

Hope this may help.