HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Newbie screaming "Help"... ignition problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie screaming "Help"... ignition problems?

1991 W350 laid down on me. When I turn ignition switch on, I have nothing. No gauges, radio, starter, clicking, just the buzzer letting me know the key is in the ignition. I checked to see if I have power to the key switch and I had 2 hots coming in. Where do I need to start and what do I need to look for? I'm not a mechanic, just a parts changer and I don't won't to start guessing. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2007, 12:08 PM

This isn't going to help you much.

Look in your local directory for a Auto electric call him up and ask him this question. At the same time ask him how much he thinks it would cost him to fix the problem for you.

I had an electrical problem with a vehicle and it was driving me crazy. I gave up to it to an Auto Electrical guy...he fixed it within two hours and charged me $100 bucks. it was a problem in behind the dash and he rerouted the problem...I wouldn't have know how to find it, or fix it and in the end I felt that $100 bucks was a great price.

Other than that...since you have power to your key I would find the Schematic for your vehicle and see the point that your ignition switch branches off and see how it can be getting power but nothing else.

Sounds to me like you would have a total power failure which would be the Main Cable, but since your ignition switch has some power that might not be the case....Turn your lights on, open the hood and start tapping and wiggling things. like the cables....

Double check to make sure you haven't blown a bunch of fuses....

Like I said I know this doesn't help much.

hmmm this thought just came to me.....the little dinging bell wouldn't take much power...Double check to make sure your battery is not almost completly dead. It could have enough power to run the dinging thing but not anything else....
Old 09-13-2007, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the reply. Headlights work strong (also new battery). I probably will end up bringing it to an automotive electrical facility before it is over with but we are in the middle of a small hurricane right now and I have at least a day to see if someone might have the solution to my problem before I end up dragging it somewhere. The truck is in the middle of a fire department parking lot with a 32' gooseneck hooked to it so if I don't do something pretty quick, the chief just might have it towed for me-just not where I want to bring it. This little storm will buy me a little time but not real good working conditions...
Old 09-13-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Just a long shot but is it a standard trans? If so could the starter solenoid be hung up? Try pushing in the clutch and see what happens. Dodge are famous for the sol failing. You could try tapping it with a hammer or a long piece of pipe.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Sounds like a fusible link fried. Look aft of the battery in that nasty rat's nest of wiring for wires that look crispy.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:41 PM

Thanks guys, Done beat on the starter and solenoid to no avail. Could possibly be fusible link but bypassed the big fusible link last year with the fusible link wire from Napa last year. Am leaning towards ignition switch but really not sure. Please keep the ideas coming. I left the truck at my work (FD) and on my downtime tomorrow, will check and recheck any suggestions you guys may have. I imagine it is something very simple but figuring it out has not turned out so simple. Thanks again!
Old 09-13-2007, 04:00 PM

If your headlights work but no guages and no starter think of the possibility that they may not be related.

Do your tail lights work? guages and tail lights are on the same fuse! Or I should say..usually are

recheck all fuses and look for any burned fusable links. Sometimes you can smell them and they will have a burnt smell.

take a voltage meter and check to see if there is voltage at the fuse box for the items.....The key switch effects solenoids. That way they don't have to route all the big wires up to the switch.

Check your starter with the switch on to see if there is any voltage.

Jump start the starter to get it moved.

Good luck..
Old 09-13-2007, 06:26 PM

Is it possible to run a hot wire to the injector pump and then jump the starter to crank the truck to bring it to a mechanic. Someone told me how it was done a while back but I can't remember exactly what they told me to do. I welcome any other suggestions or solutions. I don't mind paying a mechanic but it sure would be nice if one of these suggestions targeted the problem. Tomorrow, I will piddle around with it and see what happens. Thanks to everyone!
Old 09-14-2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by randymac
Is it possible to run a hot wire to the injector pump and then jump the starter to crank the truck to bring it to a mechanic. Someone told me how it was done a while back but I can't remember exactly what they told me to do. I welcome any other suggestions or solutions. I don't mind paying a mechanic but it sure would be nice if one of these suggestions targeted the problem. Tomorrow, I will piddle around with it and see what happens. Thanks to everyone!
that's an older truck,so I'm not sure about the electrical....I'd guess it's a relay that went bad in the fusebox,try switching with another that is the same?
You should be able to start it with the jumpers,you will have to disconnect the wire to the pump to shut it off though.

MAKE SURE IT'S IN NUETRAL/PARK!
Old 09-14-2007, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm looking in my '92 Factory Service manual and guess what? The keyswitch On-Off-On-Off-On drill works on the '92's too, you have to count the Check Engine light flashes..they'll be paired and repeat. 4 flashes followed by 2 flashes = Trouble Code #42.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:33 PM

I'm looking at the wiring diagram and is shows 2 hots coming into the ignition switch, 1 red and 1 pink/black.
It also shows 1 yellow(starter system), 1 dark blue(fuses-engine & body electrics), 1 black/white(fuses-accessories) & 1 black/orange(fuses-pwr windows & AC)
To lose everything going out looks bad for the ignition switch.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:22 AM

Hey Guys, Good News! Piddled around with it awhile yesterday and found a fusible link bad. We are up and running strong again, I am most grateful for your posts because that is what got me to look at the fusible link. I just would have never thought that one fusible link would have had so much stuff running through it. Thanks again guys! I am out the door to do a little tailgating in Baton Rouge. Go LSU (2007 National Champs)
Old 09-15-2007, 09:02 PM

Thumbs up

Way to go! Glad you're up and going again