HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

New Lift Pump Installed, Same Symptoms as before

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Lift Pump Installed, Same Symptoms as before

Got the truck from the dealer today. They installed a new lift pump and said all was good to go. Got it on the road and I noticed about 30% power loss and is still doing that loss of power antic about every 5 times every 20 miles.

Error codes still read

P0216- Injection timing circuit malfunction
P0234 - Engine Overboost Condition ? and some injection timing circuit malfunction?

I am thinking it is leading to a injector pump, what do you think?

2002 BR2500 24V CTD
Old 02-25-2004, 07:27 PM

this is exactly what it is doing.

Taken from a previous thread- "You would be cruising along and it would be around 13 PSI and if you would put a load on it then all of a sudden it would drop down to 3 or 4 PSI and would not come back up until you shut the truck off and restarted. I ended up replacing the lift pump again and all was well again."

????? Could of I gotten a bad NEW lift pump? are the odds good for that to happen?
Old 02-25-2004, 08:35 PM

You are probably losing the injection pump if you are seeing a P0216 code. Unfortunately, by the time you have driveability issue after having a dead or weak lift pump, the damage is usually done. Hopefully you are still under warranty.

The best advise I can give, is to monitor your fuel pressure with a gauge.

Good luck.

Boyd.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:24 PM

How long shold a dealer take to get one of those VP44's
Old 02-25-2004, 11:15 PM

Mine was hung up for a week---they stated that it was a "star" part and that they just don't give those things away. Ended up being about 10 days the first time, then three weeks later, another week to get another pump. Anyway, cost me some money for transportation, but the pumps were warranteed
Old 02-25-2004, 11:34 PM

So you went through two pumps in basically a month, Great I just cant wait for that.

I was to start a new job this week, but guess what couldn't make it. Just moved to Northern WI don't know anybody, no family so I was stranded at home. I am taking the truck back tomorrow AM and hopefully they can get me loaner.

Timig on these kind of events is the story of my life.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:12 AM

According to the 98.5 service manual supplement, P0216 is an indication of "High fuel supply restriction, low fuel pressure or possible wrong or incorrectly installed pump keyway". Your problem could be either the lift pump starving your VP or leaking and/or kinked fuel lines which will cause a timing failure. If this is the only code you've pulled then chances are your VP is still good. Hope this info helps.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by spacely
So you went through two pumps in basically a month, Great I just cant wait for that.

I was to start a new job this week, but guess what couldn't make it. Just moved to Northern WI don't know anybody, no family so I was stranded at home. I am taking the truck back tomorrow AM and hopefully they can get me loaner.

Timig on these kind of events is the story of my life.

The P0216 code dosn't necessarily mean the the injection pump will go out tomorrow. It may go a while if you can tolerate the drivability issues.

If you have a job offer you need to take, I'd worry about that first.

Good luck.

Boyd.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:51 PM

Code P0234 means that your wastegate is causing your overboost. This info comes straight from the Chrysler service manual. By the way I wouldn't order that VP untill I've corrected both codes. Most autozones rent the scanner so that you can perform the diagnostics some might even scan it for you. If you have any questions feel free to p/m me.

Ed
Old 03-30-2004, 06:08 AM

Hey Spacely, I've got the exact same truck as you. Just had LP replaced and same problem. Mine was surging at high speed (70MPH) They just replaced my injector pump yesterday on warranty. It took about a week to get it in. Now I have a LP problem. It won't fire at wait to start function, It'll only pump when engine is started and doesn't come up to pressure unless I load up engine. Still won't get to 14PSI at idle as it did before they changed LP. My surging problem is gone though. This is really starting to P**s me off.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:35 PM

My truck was doing the same thing of looseing power while driving. I put up with this for 8 months until last week when I took off my injection pump and took it to a shop to be tested and repaired. They called me two days after dropping it off with a $1000 estimate to rebuild it. I gave them the OK to rebuild and was pleasantly surprized to only be charged $688 with tax for my rebuilt pump. The truck now runs like new. The shop did say that they have rebuilt many VP44's for the same problem as mine. This shop has the diagnostic test stand to test the pump before tearing the pump apart and rebuilding it blindly.