HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Need help with lights on cab & chassis...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with lights on cab & chassis...

My dad's '07 cab & chassis has LED lights all around the Hillsboro aluminum flat bed. Since he had everything installed, the turn signals flash extremely quick and the overhead computer says right and left rear turn lamps are out and need to be replaced. Took it to the place who installed the bed...they said they couldn't fix it, resistor needs to be reprogrammed by the dealer. Took it to the dealer...they said that they couldn't reprogram it and my dad would have to order a new resistor... It's a brand new truck....everything should work since he paid 45k for everything. Tried putting non LEDs in the back replacing two LEDs to draw some voltage and it didn't work. He had no brake lights on the bed. What should we do?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:10 PM

use relays for all the extra lights on the bed. . .
Old 08-06-2007, 07:40 PM

I would go to whom ever is responsible for the lights (probably the dealer) and raise hell. Everytime I hear someone complain because a dealer won't fix a new truck makes me wonder why people put up with that. If the dealer is responsible then make them fix it. If it's the company who put the bed on then make them fix it. Go to the top, be polite, if that doesn't work then yell and scream and carry on.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Delectric
I would go to whom ever is responsible for the lights (probably the dealer) and raise hell. Everytime I hear someone complain because a dealer won't fix a new truck makes me wonder why people put up with that. If the dealer is responsible then make them fix it. If it's the company who put the bed on then make them fix it. Go to the top, be polite, if that doesn't work then yell and scream and carry on.

Already been through this. They keep blaming each other. My dad is just putting up with it for the moment. Should that be covered under warranty if the dealer suggested the installer of the bed and they payed the installer when we payed the dealer?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Rampage1967
use relays for all the extra lights on the bed. . .
I believe there are 16 lights..............that's alot of relays...Looks like a semi goin down the road
Old 08-07-2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Out Back 4x4
Already been through this. They keep blaming each other. My dad is just putting up with it for the moment. Should that be covered under warranty if the dealer suggested the installer of the bed and they payed the installer when we payed the dealer?
It sounds kind of like a guy that bought a new truck that the dealer had lifted (paid a local shop to do) and then refused to warranty it because it was lifted. I think if the dealer paid the shop to install the flat bed the courts will be on your side. That is a dealer installed item, or so it sounds. You could threaten to go to small claims court if you really wanted to get serious. It is a principle thing and even if it wasn't hard or expensive to fix it is still a new truck and should be covered under warranty.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:34 PM

it would only take one relay for all 16 lights (for tail/run)
& a second for brake & turn signals added . . .
Old 08-07-2007, 02:39 PM

Don't know if this applies to your situation, but on most vehicles that you wire for a trailer, after you wire it up and use the trailer lights, they blink really fast and dim because of the increased load on the flasher. The commom fix is to switch the hazard flasher with the turn signal flasher, or buy a heavy duty flasher. Once again, I don't know if this applies to these new ones or not.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Out Back 4x4
My dad's '07 cab & chassis has LED lights all around the Hillsboro aluminum flat bed. Since he had everything installed, the turn signals flash extremely quick and the overhead computer says right and left rear turn lamps are out and need to be replaced. Took it to the place who installed the bed...they said they couldn't fix it, resistor needs to be reprogrammed by the dealer. Took it to the dealer...they said that they couldn't reprogram it and my dad would have to order a new resistor... It's a brand new truck....everything should work since he paid 45k for everything. Tried putting non LEDs in the back replacing two LEDs to draw some voltage and it didn't work. He had no brake lights on the bed. What should we do?

Are there LED's in the front also?

Whenever you install LED lamps for the stop/turn signals you either have to get an electronic constant load flasher (it will have a ground wire) or you need to install a load resistor for each side set of lamps.
The LED's draw such low current the monitor thinks the lamp is out, and the flashers need to see some resistance in the circuit to flash properly.

http://www.tuneshops.org/index.cfm?m...&article_id=71