HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Mice in blower motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mice in blower motor

I have had a series of mice get into my blower motor and eventually die. This is getting expensive, as this last one ruined the fan and motor. My local dealer seems to think this is my problem but I feel like I should have a truck that is mouse proof. I have never had mice in any other truck I have owned. Anyone else have this problem? If so what can be done?
Old 10-28-2004, 06:21 PM

I started out with one pregnant cat, now there's not a mouse that stands a chance for at least 1/4 mile!
Cats are like gremlins!
They bring home all kinds of goodies..............found a rat that put a 5 pound bass to shame! I guess that's what happens when ya live in the country. Right in the middle of about 600 acres of prime USDA beef country!
Old 10-28-2004, 06:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you keep the doors and windows closed the only other possible way for them to get in would be though the cowling in front of the windshield. One of these will work excellent, great for keeping leafs out of the ducts and fan also.

http://www.genosgarage.com/CoastalDa...ID=197&CATID=1
Old 10-28-2004, 07:54 PM

Been there done that, and I'm sure it will happen again now that the temps are dropping. Even with cats I've had to remove mice from the heater plenum more than once. Dogs will work better than cats if the truck is parked near the house, as dogs don't prefer to lay on hood and roof like cats do.
And it's not just a truck issue either, they like cars too. Dad's Park Avenue has plastic mesh over the heater plenum and the critters ate thru that to get in.
Stop them before they start multiplying or you’ll be buying more than blower motors. Wiring harnesses and computer sensors and electrical shorts get much more expensive.
Eliminate the food source also. Look closely for nuts and berries in darkest areas under the hood and remove them with an air compressor. Afterwards set mousetraps where they will not get jarred off, you may have to velcro them in. Just remember to check and empty them everyday until the problem goes away.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:08 PM

I hate meeces to pieces!
Old 10-28-2004, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got the same problem in anything that sits for a few days. We have a old chevy pu and the last 3 time Ive used it a fire started under the dash. There is a resistor on top of the heater ducting that gets hot enough to light off all the mouse nest stuff. The only way to stop them is to find where the air intake for the fresh air/heater is and put a piece of mesh wire over it. Them things can squuze thru some pretty small holes so do a good job. If its really bad you might wanna do the engine air intake as well. Ive pulled many nests out of the air cleaner as well. Hey, at least the mice have good taste in choosing Dodge they coulda invaded the neighbors ford.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:38 PM

What works excellent for me on vehicles that are parked unused for long periods are Bounce clothes drier sheets. Rodents can't stand the smell, either can I but many people don't mind.
Just place them under the dash and under hood and refresh every six months, you won't have a problem.
Before I started using Bounce I could plan on many hours replacing chewed up wiring on farm vehicles that sat for the winter. No more.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:09 PM

Moth ***** will also work, but they are apparently dangerous to humans a well.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:58 PM

I had a family of mice hitch a ride inside my little used 89 Chevy pickup. I pulled the truck into the garage under the house, and they climbed out and made themselves at home. I caught 10 of the critters in my basement.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by infidel
What works excellent for me on vehicles that are parked unused for long periods are Bounce clothes drier sheets. Rodents can't stand the smell, either can I but many people don't mind.
Just place them under the dash and under hood and refresh every six months, you won't have a problem.
Before I started using Bounce I could plan on many hours replacing chewed up wiring on farm vehicles that sat for the winter. No more.
Bounce sheets? Have you tried other dryer sheets or does it work only for the Bounce brand?
Old 10-30-2004, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by NCTerri
Bounce sheets? Have you tried other dryer sheets or does it work only for the Bounce brand?
Don't know.
I was originally told Bounce and have never tried anything else.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:07 PM

I think YA'LL need to stop siting on the old worn out couch in the front yard, watching the TV on top of the tires and stop trowing all them chicken bones out toward the truck. get some cats. We had problems with Possums in the garbage, after blowing up 2-3 with a shot gun, my, and I want EVERYONE to hear this, SMART and WIZE wife, told me to put moth ***** in the cans, cured the possum problem. Now all I have to do is cure the cat problem, wife feeds the squirels, cats chase them and she "complains". Can't win for loosing